Outlook 2003 not working with new Exchange Server 2007 - Error "Unable to open your default e-mail folders". RRS feed

• General discussion

• I'm having trouble creating ANY profile under ANY login account in Outlook 2003 for one client now that we're using Exchange 2007 on a new server! I've tried the many approaches already posted but this problem persists. The details of the error message are " This error can occur if you attempt to run Outlook from a Terminal Server session when the OST file is in use by the console session. To access this instance of Outlook, exit the current Terminal Server session and start a new session by using the following RUN command: mstsc.exe /console". It appears something has a "Hold" on the OST file and the only thing I haven't tried is deleting or renaming it. I will try that next but wanted to post this for some additional help. Our administrator also installed Office Communicator on the server but no one else is having this problem. Any help would be appreiciated! 

Thanks!!

I was unsuccessful at creating a profile using "Cached Exchange Mode" so I disabled it to get the users Outlook going. This is not our normal/correct way of using Outlook with Exchange Server but it will do for now. I've noticed some users running this mode before but was able to enable it without problems. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks! 

Thursday, October 25, 2007 7:50 PM

All replies

•  

This looks to be a profile issue with that user.  i would have that user log off, delete the profile from the terminalserver, once you save any data that needs to be saved, then log back in to the server as that user and try it again.  By you stating that others arent effected, it makes me think it is a terminal server profile issue. 

Also, when you installed the Outlook client, did you put the server in /install mode? then back to user mode?

Friday, October 26, 2007 6:40 PM
  • We may try blowing out this particular Exchange account after backing up her mailbox of course but we currently have bigger fish to fry!! Thanks for the Information.

Monday, October 29, 2007 2:24 PM
  • client was moved from exchange 2003 to exchange 2007 using microsoft client 2003 can login to owa can not get into outlook client get message unable to open default outlook folders. Yet I can open the client using a domain admin account. Compared rights with someone that went sucessful and not see a difference.

Monday, February 18, 2008 4:03 PM
  • We found a fix for the problem.  Once we disabled the TCP Chimney on the exchange server, everything started working.
    Monday, February 18, 2008 7:55 PM