High CPU usage on Vista 64bit RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all ,

My laptop been hit avg 40~50% cpu ultilisation after i migrated from xp pro to vista u 64bit , it is a fresh installation .

My laptop is on avg 40celcius when running on power safe , and it hit 70celcius when i switch to balanced .

Any patches is design for AMD x64 with 4GB ram ?

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 3:50 AM

Answers

• Welcome to the Wonderful World of Windows Bloat.

I use 4 separate computers, each running Vista Home Premium, and all use more resources than they should.

Simply put, it is a more complex Operating System and will use more CPU and Memory.

There are some things you can do to tweak the installation to perform a bit better.

You can try some of the suggestions at www.speedyvista.com and disable some of the un-necessary services that are installed by default. You can also disable some of the start-up items if you do not need them. (I find that Adobe Acrobat Reader tends to install an item in the start-up folder that you seriously do not need)

You can also move to a lighter-weight Anti-Virus scanning program that doesn't use as much resources.

The main thing to remember is; Vista will use more resources than XP so you will notice a degradation in performance when comparing the two.

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 2:12 PM