WINWORD.EXE -Application Error The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click ok to close the application RRS feed

• Question

• HI 

when i am trying to open MSWord following message pop up and i can't open MSword any more:

WINWORD.EXE -Application Error The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click ok to close the application.

Please advise 

• Edited by ripon_bk04 Friday, May 23, 2014 6:07 AM
    Friday, May 23, 2014 6:05 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Does Word start in Safe Mode?

Press Win key + R, type "winword.exe /safe" in the blank box, press Enter.

If Word can start in Safe Mode, the issue should be related to 3rd-party add-ins, disable the suspicious add-ins to determine which one caused the problem.

You can also try repairing Office from Control Panel -> Programs and Features, check if this helps.

Regards,

Melon Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, May 26, 2014 5:45 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Does Word start in Safe Mode?

Press Win key + R, type "winword.exe /safe" in the blank box, press Enter.

If Word can start in Safe Mode, the issue should be related to 3rd-party add-ins, disable the suspicious add-ins to determine which one caused the problem.

You can also try repairing Office from Control Panel -> Programs and Features, check if this helps.

Regards,

Melon Chen
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, May 26, 2014 5:45 AM
  • I'm having the same problem, and when I try opening safe mode, I keep getting the same error message, and it won't open.

I tried going into Programs and Features, and when I clicked "Change" so that I could repair the problems, it told me that I might have uninstalled it, although I don't remember doing that.

Is there anything else I can try? I am using Windows 8.1.

Friday, November 21, 2014 6:04 PM
  • I just recently all Office 2013 applications have stopped working due to this error.  I've tried the repairs, quick completes but still receive same error.  Online repair does not connect even though I am connected and Avast's firewall log does not show anything being blocked.  Running in safe mode does not help either (same error).

I have uninstalled both without and with  the Microsoft FixTool and reinstalled, rebooted and I still get the same error.  At a loss on my end, seems a recent update has broken office.  I purchased Office 365, hopefully it does not have the same problem. 

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

• Edited by mlesnews Tuesday, August 18, 2015 6:45 PM edit
    Tuesday, August 18, 2015 6:45 PM
  • Typical, no support from MS even though this is their error and there software! I have done nothing, have not installed anything or made any system changes. Just out of the blue I get this error when I try and start Word, I also get the same message when I try and open the command prompt. So far these are the only two things I have found affected. 
    Tuesday, September 29, 2015 7:34 PM
  • Absolutely. I had similar problem and couldn't find solution as well. Reply would be helpful here. If...
    Thursday, June 16, 2016 7:06 AM
  • This issue was plaguing me as well, I was luckily able to find product key.

1. Used product key to DL the installer from MS support site

2. Used MS Office removal tool: http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/0/5/505878EB-FFC4-4DF0-A526-B1165BFA6C35/o15ctrremove.diagcab

3. reinstalled Office, activated using key (not account)

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 9:16 PM
  • HI 

when i am trying to open MSWord following message pop up and i can't open MSword any more:

WINWORD.EXE -Application Error The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click ok to close the application.

Please advise 

• Proposed as answer by orsanda Saturday, July 8, 2017 3:10 PM
    Saturday, July 8, 2017 3:05 PM
  • Are there any newer solutions that have been proposed in the last 5 years? Most of the answers provided here are applicable to MS Office for a pre-Windows 10, Windows. I am receiving this application error (0xc0000142) for all of the Office apps that I have, despite having been using Office 2016 Word, Excel and Powerpoint for more than the past year under the Windows 10 OS, without this error. I have no 3rd-party addons and have not made any changes to the Office applications. Does this error require a reinstall of Office and the applications?

Monday, April 8, 2019 12:58 AM
  • What Steven said, me too. 
    Tuesday, June 4, 2019 11:08 AM
  • Since this is an old thread, it is better to start a new one and provide complete Office version information, version of Windows etc.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Tuesday, June 4, 2019 11:27 AM
  • I had the same problem and tried at least 20 different solutions. After wasting hours of time, I came upon this solution in a 2 min. video from Colin Durrant:

https://youtu.be/Whw7IiD6ySE

Try deselecting the View > Preview feature. Word launches smoothly for me now. No issues.

// Microsoft says to start a new thread, but if the old thread comes up when I do a Google search, than that's the thread I read, so others must, too. Too bad Microsoft can't highlight solutions to the same question asked a hundred times.

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 2:53 PM
  • Microsoft says to start a new thread, but if the old thread comes up when I do a Google search, than that's the thread I read, so others must, too. Too bad Microsoft can't highlight solutions to the same question asked a hundred times.

It is recommended to start a new thread as opposed to replying to an old one, yes.

Note that Microsoft doesn't actively monitor these threads. Contributors are volunteers.

You can use the Site Feedback link at the bottom of this thread. Product feedback can be sent to https://word.uservoice.com.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 10:01 PM