none
PWA - Timesheet Manager also Resource / Entering timesheet data not going to actuals RRS feed

• Question

• Okay, another interesting scenario here that might be related to me not using this correctly.

As a contractor, I am running my own instance of Project Online. I have created schedules with tasks assigned to me (as an enterprise resource), they show up in my timesheets and I enter hours, then use the "Send/Send progress for all tasks" and then "Send/Turn in final timesheet".

PWA returns that the timesheets are approved (I don't get a chance to approve them so I wonder does this happen automatically?) but the real question is I thought that sending the progress would add actual work to the schedule. 

When I flip to the Tasks page in PWA, under process status tasks show as "Process Status/Manager Updated" (in red) but I don't see any hours (matching what I entered in the timesheet).

Question - by entering hours in timesheets, sending progress to schedule - this should update the "Actual Work" in the schedule correct? I remember in older instances of Project Server as the schedule owner I had to open the schedule up, review the updates and then I could apply them, but I don't see that in this version. Is there another step that I am missing?

Thanks in advance!

Monday, March 5, 2018 4:11 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Regarding the Timesheet approval - I guess you are your own Timesheet Manager, hence the auto approval. You would need to set a different user as the Timesheet Manager for your resource to get the chance to do the approval as that Timesheet Manager.

Regarding the Status Updates, the task Status Manager/s should see those updates in the Approval Center in PWA - do you / the Status Managers see the updates there to approve / reject into the schedule?

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

Monday, March 5, 2018 5:25 PM
  • Paul,

I was able to (in MS Project) look for any updates and it opened up the PWA approvals section but nothing was there (as in the timesheets that seemed to auto-approve by myself, or at least when I submitted the timesheet PWA responded with "Byron has approved your timesheet".

I can't think of a way to create another user so I could have a different approver then the person actually completing the task.

B

Monday, March 5, 2018 5:30 PM
  • Hello,

On your Timesheet Settings and Default page in PWA Settings, have you enabled Task Status Manager Approval under the Timesheet Policies heading?

Paul

Monday, March 5, 2018 5:57 PM
  • No, I did not have the checked off. Can you clarify what is supposed to happen if I check this off? I can test out the process (and perhaps I should delete the previous timesheets and recreate them as well?)

Byron

Monday, March 5, 2018 6:58 PM
  • If you enable that the Status Managers will get a Status Update for the Tasks from the Timesheet to progress the tasks as part of the task update process. I would test the settings and set this up based on your requirements. This page might help explain the settings: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/timesheet-settings-and-defaults-5a01c4f0-c040-4078-9153-0fd3630a0203

Paul

Monday, March 5, 2018 7:09 PM
  • I checked off the tasks status manager approval to enabled", but I am still in the same boat where as soon as I hit submit time-sheet, PWA returns that the time-sheet has been approved by me (I am also set as the approver) but no updates show up in the approval section (which could then be applied to the project file). 

When I look at the Approvals section / history: my time-sheets (that I have submitted) show up as Status Approved, as well as they include actuals, but under history / status updates noting shows up here.

Do you think there is an issue with PWA being set up with only one enterprise user (so I am both assigned to tasks to fill in time-sheets, and also the approver). 

I have Single Entry Mode selected - as I want team members (me) to report project status using the timesheet...

Is there any other place I need to be making specific settings changes?

Monday, March 5, 2018 8:53 PM
  • Hello,

If you are the Status Manager for those tasks then you should see the task update in approvals center unless you have set up a rule to auto approve etc. but that should still appear under the history. Timesheet will also auto approve as you dont have another user to set as the Timesheet manager.

Paul

Monday, March 5, 2018 10:39 PM
  • Do you know where the timesheet "Send progress for all tasks" would go for review and ultimate upload into the Project file? 

After I fill in the timesheet, select "Send progress for all tasks" the timesheet actuals don't show up in the PWA task section (for that period).

If I submit the timesheet (and as you mentioned it auto-approves because I am the only user) the actuals still don't show in either the tasks (or some other place that MS Project would then take them in and assign them to the schedule.,

Here's an interesting question - situation - since my timesheets are getting auto-approved (as I am the only user in the system), is that why they are not showing up in the PWA/Approvals section? I would've at least thought the timesheet would show up there and show as approved? The reason I ask this is when I was in MS Project, and I asked it to look for updates, it went to the PWA/Approvals section to look for updates, and since there was nothing there there was nothing to assign to the schedule (in the from of actuals).

Maybe the one user scenario isn't an option for PWA/Timesheet/Approvals/Update Actuals in Schedule?

Monday, March 5, 2018 10:53 PM