none
DPM 2012 SP1 how do I use the Hyper-V VM I restored? RRS feed

• Question

• If I restore a Hyper-V VM on a new (recovery) DPM server, I see the whole VM structure, but I cannot import it into a Hyper-V host, either on the DPM server or on another Hyper-V server.

What is the procedure and benefit for using the restored VM, as opposed to just creating a new VM using the restored VHD?

"Import failed. Unable to find virtual machine import files.... "

So if the VM made by DPM is not an export, what is it?

Both DPM systems (original and DR) are physical.

Any references to procedures and up to date documentation with links which work is very welcome...

CarolChi

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 8:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It sounds like you either restored the individual VHD's, or you didn't restore the guest to a hyper-V host, but to a network folder. If you restore it to a hyper-V host, it will automatically add it as a guest and can simply be started.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 9:59 PM
  • That option is not available.

I am assuming I do not have the original host and SAN, and probably am trying to restore only some systems onto new hardware.

st have to have the same name?

CarolChi

Thursday, January 10, 2013 7:42 AM
  • Hi,

I assume you do not have an agent deployed to another Hyper-V server to recover to, once you deploy an agent to another Hyper-V server, you wil have the option to recover to that.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, January 10, 2013 3:25 PM