none
DPM 2007 - Final Backup to Tape RRS feed

• Question

• I'm working with a DPM 2007 instance that has reached its snapshot/recovery point limit. It won't let me add new protected volumes.  I've got some decommissioned machines in the "Inactive protection" group that I could remove from the system but I can't dump the data due to company/HIPPA policy. I'm trying to create a "Final Backup" to tape so I can put a single tape in the safe knowing that it is the last complete backup for a given machine. DPM does not seem to allow this.

In BackupExec I would just create a job containing the last full backup of the desired volumes, write it to a new tape and be done. Is there an equivlent procedure in DPM? DPM won't let me select more than one volume when doing a restore/copy to tape, and it also will not let me choose which tape the restore/copy to tape process will use.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Monday, January 16, 2012 5:46 PM

Answers

• If you have backupexec you can try doing this:

From CMD.EXE, type in dpmbackup -replicas

You will see several RPs being mounted. Once this is done you can open Windows Explorer and go to this location:

c:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\ShadowCopy (if DPM was installed on its default location).

Underneath ShadowCopy you can see all server names that are bring protected by the DPM server. If you see the ones which are currently inactive you can then browse their folder and see if their data are there. If it is, you can use backupexec to backup these folders.

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:34 PM

All replies

• Because these datasources are inactive you can create a protection group with disk/tape backup configured and add all these guys to that group.

Once there, you can create a recovery point to tape.

Note: Once you create protection for then, it will start a Consystency Check (CC) Job. You might want to cancel if you don't want the CC to complete

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Monday, January 16, 2012 7:51 PM
  • DPM won't let me create a new Protection Group with these servers included because the servers are gone and it hangs trying to connect to the Agent.
    • Edited by EOB77 Monday, January 16, 2012 8:52 PM
    Monday, January 16, 2012 8:49 PM
  • Do you have any other backup solution that can backup your DPM server to tape?

Run this PowerShell script and port the results (this PS will give us how much data you have written to disk on those inactive protection).

$ds = Get-Datasource (&hostname) -Inactive | ? { $_.inactivediskallocation -ne '-'}
     $replica = 0;$rp = 0
    foreach ($ds1 in $ds) { $replica += $ds1.replicausedspace; $rp += $ds1.shadowcopyusedspace}
    write-host ("Replica size (bytes): {0:N0} Recovery Point (bytes) {1:N0}" -f $replica, $rp)

Monday, January 16, 2012 9:22 PM
  • We do have a BackupExec server running, you're saying do a DPM Recovery to a share somewhere and write that to a tape via BackupExec? Not a bad idea. 

Here's the result of the PS script.

Replica size (bytes): 1,287,174,766,552 Recovery Point (bytes) 2,060,629,880,792

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 3:34 PM
  • If you have backupexec you can try doing this:

From CMD.EXE, type in dpmbackup -replicas

You will see several RPs being mounted. Once this is done you can open Windows Explorer and go to this location:

c:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Volumes\ShadowCopy (if DPM was installed on its default location).

Underneath ShadowCopy you can see all server names that are bring protected by the DPM server. If you see the ones which are currently inactive you can then browse their folder and see if their data are there. If it is, you can use backupexec to backup these folders.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:34 PM