none
Display Work (resource-timephased) data on gantt chart or Team Planner RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to create a 'training schedule' where the hours worked per training day is different throughout a course (i.e. a 7 day (40 hr)  course may consist of 6, 7, 7, 6, 4, 6, 4

I have set up each course as a Task and allocated to a Trainer (resource)

The trainers can see what course they are training, when it starts and duration and what work availability they have between each course using either the Gantt chart or the Team Planner.

However, due to the nature of the training, the course daily start time depends on how many hours is taught that day (i.e 6 hrs = 09:00 start, 7 hrs = 08:00 start, 4 hrs = 08:00 start)

I have manually entered the hours per day onto the Resource Usage sheet, but how do I get to display those hours on the Gantt chart or Team Planner??

Help and advise is greatly appreciated 

Monday, June 27, 2016 12:30 AM

All replies

• Roshml,

When you say you entered the hours per day on the Resource Usage sheet, do you mean the Work field on the right side of the view (i.e. as timescaled data)? If so, then sorry but there is no easy way to show timescaled data on the Gantt Chart or Team Planner views. It could possibly be done using 7 text fields, at least on the Gantt Chart view, but that would require manual entry into each text field or some VBA to transfer the timescaled data to those text fields.

However, you could show that data by re-structuring your plan as shown in the screenshot below. That provides the hours per day and the start time for each.

Hope this helps.

John

Monday, June 27, 2016 2:28 PM
  • Thanks for your reply John.

I had thought about breaking the course down into days but that would create a huge amount of work to manage.

I will try and see if I can get a VB expert to extract the timephased data for me and create an excel gantt chart with the hours per day for the trainers

Rosh

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 5:37 AM
  • Rosh,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

I assume you meant VBA to populate text fields in the Gantt Chart and not "excel gantt chart". You can certainly export the Project data to Excel but you may not need VBA to do that. Have you looked at Project's visual reports feature (Project/reports group/Visual Reports)?

John

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 1:08 PM