Creation of Start Menu Folders RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to organize the start menu and would like to be able do a couple things:

1. Create a Folder called Microsoft and then put all microsoft shortcuts in the folder.
    2. Several other folders as well (such as GPS. Monitor, Appearance etc.)
    3. I would then like to be able to pin those folders to either the taskbar or start menu.
    4. I would like to adjust the size of the icons that are pinned or in a toolbar in the taskbar to about half way between the large and small settings currently available.
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 1:03 PM

Answers

• Terry,

You can organize the Start menu very easily by right-clicking on "All Programs" and selecting Open or Open All Users. You can then drag any folder from within the Start menu to the taskbar, and it will automatically be pinned.

As for the icon sizes, however, I'm afraid you'll have to settle for one or the another. Icons are created at various sizes to fit specifications, and cannot be resized at will.
    -Alex
    • Marked as answer by terrywitt Wednesday, May 27, 2009 5:12 AM
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 2:05 PM
  • Click the Windows Orb (Start), type Shell:Common Start Menu (or Shell:Start Menu for each user) and press Enter. Double-click Programs > Right-click in the right pane > New > Folder and give it a meaningful name. Drag (hold down left mouse button) the relevant shortcuts to it. Repeat for any more new folders.

When you’ve finished, drag the folders to the Orb (Start) to pin them.

I haven't experimented with icon size, so I cannot help with that.

I hope the above doesn’t sound patronising but I don’t know your proficiency level.

• Marked as answer by terrywitt Wednesday, May 27, 2009 5:13 AM
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 2:18 PM

All replies

• Terry,

You can organize the Start menu very easily by right-clicking on "All Programs" and selecting Open or Open All Users. You can then drag any folder from within the Start menu to the taskbar, and it will automatically be pinned.

As for the icon sizes, however, I'm afraid you'll have to settle for one or the another. Icons are created at various sizes to fit specifications, and cannot be resized at will.
    -Alex
    • Marked as answer by terrywitt Wednesday, May 27, 2009 5:12 AM
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 2:05 PM
  • Click the Windows Orb (Start), type Shell:Common Start Menu (or Shell:Start Menu for each user) and press Enter. Double-click Programs > Right-click in the right pane > New > Folder and give it a meaningful name. Drag (hold down left mouse button) the relevant shortcuts to it. Repeat for any more new folders.

When you’ve finished, drag the folders to the Orb (Start) to pin them.

I haven't experimented with icon size, so I cannot help with that.

I hope the above doesn’t sound patronising but I don’t know your proficiency level.

• Marked as answer by terrywitt Wednesday, May 27, 2009 5:13 AM
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 2:18 PM