Tangled Key Issues - MAK, KMS, Vista, Office 2003, Outlook, Server 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• I keep getting asked to re-route http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinevista/thread/35014804-d2da-4186-bc4a-1b83da858fc1

In this thread, I describe issues with "not genuine" messages received on PC clients attached to a server that was re-loaded a month ago after a failed attempt to install a new server.

The administrator involved is gone - and I'm new here - so I don't have all the history.  What I DO have is 15 PC clients which receive "not genuine" error messages every day, including one from Outlook, which is informing me that I'm down to 1 day before Outlook is marked as "not genuine."

I do have a folder left from the previous administrator with all the license keys for my account.  They include Vista keys for both MAC and KMS, as well as for Office 2003.

Any help is appreciated.

Kind regards,

• Edited by joe jacoby Wednesday, September 22, 2010 1:41 PM added server info
    Wednesday, September 22, 2010 1:40 PM

Answers

• Hello Joe,

So there are a total of 15 PC running Windows?  If that is case you should use MAK keys to activate those machines if they are not activated. 

Windows needs a count of 25 to able to use KMS host to activate those machines.

Office 2003 requires it's own key, that is separate from the Windows Keys and Office 2003 does not support KMS or MAK.

On the Windows machines that are reporting not genuine, open and elevated CMD prompt and run slmgr /dli

Report back with the output.

Need to check if they are activated\licensed or if there is another reason for them to be not genuine.

If the machines are not activated, you can use slmgr /ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx to install the Vista MAK keys.

Then run slmgr /ato to activate those machines.

Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 1:27 AM

All replies

• Thursday, September 23, 2010 1:11 AM
  • Hello Joe,

So there are a total of 15 PC running Windows?  If that is case you should use MAK keys to activate those machines if they are not activated. 

Windows needs a count of 25 to able to use KMS host to activate those machines.

Office 2003 requires it's own key, that is separate from the Windows Keys and Office 2003 does not support KMS or MAK.

On the Windows machines that are reporting not genuine, open and elevated CMD prompt and run slmgr /dli

Report back with the output.

Need to check if they are activated\licensed or if there is another reason for them to be not genuine.

If the machines are not activated, you can use slmgr /ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx to install the Vista MAK keys.

Then run slmgr /ato to activate those machines.

Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en
    Thursday, September 23, 2010 1:27 AM