How to copy text automatically to text fields? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I have document that contains same text in different places on Word document. How can this be done: I write text (in this case ID number) to text field, and then it automatically gets copied to certain places. It's like using Header, but in this case the position of text is different in every page, so it is not possible to use Header. So basically I need to make text reference to text fields.

In Excel it is easy to make cell references but I think that it will need some Visual Basic code to make it work in Word. And I am not very used to work with VB.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 10:36 AM

Answers

• Do you have the document protected for filling in forms?

Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,
    dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    Posted via the Community Bridge

"Ilkks" wrote in message news:636ac5b4-6745-4e7f-b7a8-56d7bdcfb979@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I have one problem. I have this one "Text Form Field" where I want to insert data. Then I have several { REF FieldName } field where I want the data to be repeated. But when I write text to the main "Text Form Field", the form disappeares and becomes plain text, and therefore when I update REF-fields it says: "Error! Reference source not found".

This works well if I right-click the main Text Form Field and write the text I want to "Default text", and then update the REF-fields. However this is more complicated than just inserting the text to the field. I have tried to use document/form protection but it didn't help, or I did something wrong. So how I can insert text to "Text Form Field" without making the Field disappear?

I have Word 2007 version.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP dkr[atsymbol]mvps[dot]org
    • Marked as answer by Ilkks Thursday, May 5, 2011 10:20 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Ilkks Thursday, May 5, 2011 10:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ilkks Thursday, May 5, 2011 10:21 AM
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 9:56 AM

All replies

• See the Repeating Data item on fellow MVP Greg Maxey's website at:

http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/word_tips.htm

Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,

"Ilkks" wrote in message news:dfd12642-523f-45eb-9905-d704ff017a90@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Hi!

I have document that contains same text in different places on Word document. How can this be done: I write text (in this case ID number) to text field, and then it automatically gets copied to certain places. It's like using Header, but in this case the position of text is different in every page, so it is not possible to use Header. So basically I need to make text reference to text fields.

In Excel it is easy to make cell references but I think that it will need some Visual Basic code to make it work in Word. And I am not very used to work with VB.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 11:19 AM
  • I have one problem. I have this one "Text Form Field" where I want to insert data. Then I have several { REF FieldName } field where I want the data to be repeated. But when I write text to the main "Text Form Field", the form disappeares and becomes plain text, and therefore when I update REF-fields it says: "Error! Reference source not found".

This works well if I right-click the main Text Form Field and write the text I want to "Default text", and then update the REF-fields. However this is more complicated than just inserting the text to the field. I have tried to use document/form protection but it didn't help, or I did something wrong. So how I can insert text to "Text Form Field" without making the Field disappear?

Thursday, May 5, 2011 6:58 AM
  • Do you have the document protected for filling in forms?

Hope this helps.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP,

"Ilkks" wrote in message news:636ac5b4-6745-4e7f-b7a8-56d7bdcfb979@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I have one problem. I have this one "Text Form Field" where I want to insert data. Then I have several { REF FieldName } field where I want the data to be repeated. But when I write text to the main "Text Form Field", the form disappeares and becomes plain text, and therefore when I update REF-fields it says: "Error! Reference source not found".

• Marked as answer by Ilkks Thursday, May 5, 2011 10:20 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Ilkks Thursday, May 5, 2011 10:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ilkks Thursday, May 5, 2011 10:21 AM
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 9:56 AM
  • Yes. I had to choose "Filling forms" instead of "No changes (raed-only)". So it works now.
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 10:21 AM