Can XP SP3 Firewall inhibit a program from accessing the internet? RRS feed

• Question

• I realize that it will block unsolicited input *from* the 'net. But I want to prevent a program from initiating any net transaction at all i.e. so that the program will think that it is running on a 'stand-alone' system with no internet connection available.

If the Windows firewall cannot do this on XP, can someone suggest one that can?

Can Windows 7 do what I want?

Thanks

Friday, January 7, 2011 3:12 AM

Answers

• Sounds like what your trying to do is

Turn of ethernet adapter.

Turn off adminstrater rights

Turn off TCP IP so there is no internet connection.

Click on

start> run or search > "ncpa.cpl" press enter

If there is a pop up press continue

Right click on the network adapter then on "properties"

\ there will be a list with either internet protocol" or "TCP/IPV4" "TCP/IPv6"

This will take some figuring out what is active or working with each system. Some might have the first one. Some just the middle or later two. Or just the last one.

Repeat for each adapter connected.

Another possibility is just shut down all outgoing ports. Sp3 is capable of this.

The above should work to disable the internet. But do look for changing a user account to non-administrator to avoid changes. This would be after the adapters and TCP have been disabled.

Keith

Friday, January 7, 2011 1:40 PM

All replies

• The Windows firewall built in to XP can only block incoming traffic. Windows 7 has a far more advanced firewall which allows outbound firewall too!

Read all about it on http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/windows-firewall

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP

Friday, January 7, 2011 8:49 AM
  • Sounds like what your trying to do is

Turn of ethernet adapter.

Turn off adminstrater rights

Turn off TCP IP so there is no internet connection.

Click on

start> run or search > "ncpa.cpl" press enter

If there is a pop up press continue

Right click on the network adapter then on "properties"

\ there will be a list with either internet protocol" or "TCP/IPV4" "TCP/IPv6"

This will take some figuring out what is active or working with each system. Some might have the first one. Some just the middle or later two. Or just the last one.

Repeat for each adapter connected.

Another possibility is just shut down all outgoing ports. Sp3 is capable of this.

The above should work to disable the internet. But do look for changing a user account to non-administrator to avoid changes. This would be after the adapters and TCP have been disabled.

Keith

Friday, January 7, 2011 1:40 PM
  • Thanks guys.

@firststknight: Hmmm... pulling the cable sounds easier... LOL.

Actually, I just want to inhibit specific programs from connecting to the 'net. I've looked at the Outpost firewall (<cite>www.agnitum.com)</cite> which appears fairly capable. Does anyone have any experience with it?

Roger

Sunday, January 9, 2011 6:21 AM
  • Comodo Firewall will block a program from the internet.  "Define new blocked process" is where the tab is under.  not all PC's are able to install it though.
    Wednesday, August 28, 2013 9:38 PM