none
Change drive letter designation on internal SD card reader. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Dell with a micro card reader built in. It can read four different types of cards and they are labeled H:\, I:\, J:\, and K:\. If I put a card into the reader, that specific drive (i.e. K:\) shows up in Disk Manager and I can change the letter designation. The problem that I'm having is the other three slots won't show up in Disk Manager unless I insert a card. I don't have the other types of cards and don't want to buy them. Is there a way to change the drive letter designation of the card readers without having a card inserted in them? Thanks,
    Monday, February 25, 2013 8:04 AM

Answers

• I found the solution: Locate the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices Right-click "\DosDevices\D:", and then click Rename Rename it to \DosDevices\S: - or whatever letter you want.
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 4:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You have known the solution. We can change the driver letter via Disk Management. It cannot be done if it does not show up in Disk Management.

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 7:27 AM
  • I found the solution: Locate the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices Right-click "\DosDevices\D:", and then click Rename Rename it to \DosDevices\S: - or whatever letter you want.
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 4:34 AM
  • Just what I was looking for. Thank you!
    Tuesday, December 24, 2013 10:04 AM
  • I've done the change in the registry on windows 8.1.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

A follow up question:Does this process require a restart.

Small rant: I dont know why windows doesnt reserve another naming scheme for these type of card readers that take up a lot of drive letters and cant be changed in drive management.  Z1, Z2, Z3 or something.

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 11:49 PM
  • Thank you. This worked for me on Windows 10, but requires a reboot after changing the registry key.
    Friday, May 24, 2019 9:57 AM