none
Zone Transfer contents RRS feed

• Question

• What besides DNS records are replicated. Are zone settings and server dns settings replicated? For instance, if i check the 'Disable recursion (also disables forwarders)' checkbox on 1 of our 6 Server 2008 R2 servers, will this replicate to each of the other DNS servers?

I ask this because our PCI compliance scanner is advising us to disable recursion to prevent DNS cache probing.

Friday, June 10, 2016 8:28 PM

Answers

• Hi Allen,

>>What besides DNS records are replicated. Are zone settings and server dns settings replicated? For instance, if i check the 'Disable recursion (also disables forwarders)' checkbox on 1 of our 6 Server 2008 R2 servers, will this replicate to each of the other DNS servers?

Zone transfer sends a copy of zone to the server request a copy.It is zone-level.And the 'Disable recursion (also disables forwarders)' checkbox is a server-level option.It will not send by zone transfer.

This link is explained how DNS zone transfer works:

Explanation of a DNS Zone Transfer

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/164017

Monday, June 13, 2016 3:10 AM