none
A multi-threaded software(PFC3D-to do simulation) not using all the available cores RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm using a multi-threaded software(PFC3D developped by Itasca consulting) to do some simulations.After moving to a powerful computer Intel Xeon Gold 5120T CPU 2.2GHZ 2.19 GHZ  (2 Processors)(28 physical cores, 56 logical cores)(Windows10) to have rapid calculations, the software seems to only use a limited number of cores.Normally the number of cores detected in the software is 56 and it takes automaticly the maximum number of cores.

I'm pretty sure that the problem is in the system not in my software because I'm running the same code in a intel core i9-9880H Processor (16 logical cores) and it'is using all the cores with even more efficiency than the xeon gold.

I'm at the end of my PhD and really you will 'rescue' me if we find the problem.

I apreciate very much your precious help.

Thank you

Youssef

Wednesday, June 24, 2020 8:51 AM

All replies

• so how many cores is the software using?
    how many cores are displayed on task managers CPU page?

What is the Windows 10 SKU?
    As far as I remember, Home version only supports one processor socket.
    Wednesday, June 24, 2020 6:42 PM
  • Hi,

Try process explorer to check CPU usage, and this tool can also specific cores for a program running.

Process Explorer v16.32

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Regards

"Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Thursday, June 25, 2020 3:00 AM
  • hello,

the software is using 22 to 30;56 threads are detected in the software so it should use all of them unless we limited the cores.

28 cores/56 threads are displayed on task managers CPU page.I have windows 10 pro.

Thank you for your help !

Youssef

Thursday, June 25, 2020 7:04 AM
  • can other software use all cores?
    f.e. this powershell command should use all cores to 100% (56 threads):
    1..56 | foreach{ Start-Job -ScriptBlock {for(;;){}}}

Thursday, June 25, 2020 10:18 AM
  • hello

Thank you for your suggestion...yes with this powershell command, all cores are used 100%

But still I cant use all the cores with my software.

youssef

Friday, June 26, 2020 12:08 PM
  • when the powershell script is able to use all cores: there is no limitation by the OS.
    you should contact the developer of PFC3D,

Friday, June 26, 2020 1:39 PM