none
UTF-8 compatible with MS SQL Database with character set SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS?

Question

• Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and I have a question regarding character sets.

I have a program that imports dump files from a progress database.
    The progress database is in UTF-8.

I would like to make sure that the characterset of My MS SQL database is fully compatible with UTF-8.
    I'm using the NVARCHAR data type everywhere on the MS SQL side. I'm not using the VARCHAR data type anywhere.

Does anywone have experience with characters that fail to be imported in a scenario like this?

I'm using regular expressions to filter out the characters that are useless for me.
    (which are for example the characters from x00 to x1F)

thanks in advance.

Friday, December 17, 2010 12:51 PM

Answers

• I have tested this a while ago now.

And it worked.

So the conclusion is that export files in UTF-8 format can be completely imported into a SQL Server 2008 database without any conversions.

Topic closed

Thursday, January 27, 2011 9:49 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You may need to convert a non-Unicode column to a Unicode column in your data flow. You can try to modify it in Advanced tab of Source or use ‘Data Conversion’ transform to do that.

Hope this helps,

Raymond

Raymond Li - MSFT
    Monday, December 20, 2010 7:25 AM
  • Hi Raymond,

thanks for your reply.

I haven't realy had problems with this yet but I want to make sure that in the future when someone enters a strange character, that all my routines still work.

But what I'm going to do is the following:

I'm just going to test it myself.
    I'm going to enter (copy - paste) all UTF-8 characters from x7F to x7E4 into the source of my data, then import it and see what the result is.

Kind regards,
    Christian

Monday, December 20, 2010 7:49 AM
  • I have tested this a while ago now.

And it worked.

So the conclusion is that export files in UTF-8 format can be completely imported into a SQL Server 2008 database without any conversions.

Topic closed

Thursday, January 27, 2011 9:49 AM