Windows 10 And Outlook Email Issues RRS feed

• Question

• Microsoft sent me so many emails on upgrading from Windows 7 to 10 that I finally did it. It was a disaster and a failure after 9.5 hours of installation work. After the install all I got was a non-bootable version of the BSOD. Without adequate software to repair the damage I had to take the PC to a shop. It cost me $69.00 to get Windows 10 reinstalled on the PC and I had to take the unit to the PC shop twice to get all of the installation problems resolved. It would really be nice if Microsoft would put a status installation bar on the download to let you know its progress. The end result was to reinstall Windows 10 and wipe out all data and programs. Fortunately I do have a back up program.

The biggest issue I am facing on the reinstall is with Outlook. I have reinstalled Outlook on the hard drive but as soon as I launch it I receive a dialog box with something like this “There is no email program associated to perform the requested action. Please install an email program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default programs control panel . ". I have spent two days trying various solutions on the web. The Registry Key fix (HKEY_Local_Machines\software\client\mail) did not work but Windows 10 tells me that is could not delete all of the items completely.  I also downloaded the Windows Live Writer program as described on the web but this was of no help either.

My questions are:
    How does Microsoft distinguish between an app and program app?  Are they the same or different?
    Is there a solution to this problem or is it still a software Beta problem?
    Thanks
    Gary

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 10:48 PM

Answers

• Hi Balvenie579,

According to your description, I understand the inconvenience caused. I will be glad to assist you with this. For the first question, Software is an all-encompassing term for computer data while an application is a type of software that does a certain task. Applications are executable while software may or may not be executable. Applications are often operating system specific while software are not necessarily. Applications usually need user interaction to function while software does not necessarily have to. The information in the link below could help for you better.

https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/3aqly5/what_exactly_is_the_difference_between_a_windows/

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

For the second question, I want to confirm with you that the OS version is X86 or X64. We could try these steps to repair.

Repair the Outlook installation
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813745

If Outlook is not installed or is not the default mail program, start RegEdit.exe and navigate to and delete the following registry values:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail -> delete the (Default) value
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Microsoft Outlook -> delete the DllPathEx value

For 32 bit Windows XP, Vista and 7, find and delete:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Microsoft Outlook

64 bit users will need to locate and remove:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Clients\Mail\Microsoft Outlook

Hope it will be helpful to you.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 7, 2016 10:53 AM

All replies

• Hi Balvenie579,

According to your description, I understand the inconvenience caused. I will be glad to assist you with this. For the first question, Software is an all-encompassing term for computer data while an application is a type of software that does a certain task. Applications are executable while software may or may not be executable. Applications are often operating system specific while software are not necessarily. Applications usually need user interaction to function while software does not necessarily have to. The information in the link below could help for you better.

https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/3aqly5/what_exactly_is_the_difference_between_a_windows/

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

For the second question, I want to confirm with you that the OS version is X86 or X64. We could try these steps to repair.

Repair the Outlook installation
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813745

If Outlook is not installed or is not the default mail program, start RegEdit.exe and navigate to and delete the following registry values:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail -> delete the (Default) value
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Microsoft Outlook -> delete the DllPathEx value

For 32 bit Windows XP, Vista and 7, find and delete:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\Microsoft Outlook

64 bit users will need to locate and remove:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Clients\Mail\Microsoft Outlook

Hope it will be helpful to you.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 7, 2016 10:53 AM
  • I have the same particular issue as Balvenie579 above:

I too receive this dialog box that reads, “There is no email program associated to perform the requested action. Please install an email program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default programs control panel."  What does it mean and what to I need to do to resolve? I just purchased the Dell all in one desktop w/ Windows 10.  I have both a gmail email account as well as a second local provider acct (POP) with an email of name@northstate.net.  While I seem to be receiving those emails ok, the error message still comes up each and every time.

• Edited by llmerritt Saturday, January 6, 2018 7:43 PM
    Saturday, January 6, 2018 7:42 PM