BCS and SPD with external data RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I'm working on a project that needs to publish data in a graphical UI. So I've been using SPD to create a database connection (Oracle).  I'm having some difficulty in making the connection (thread open) but I assume when complete SPD tools will enable the user to filter information and perform CRUD operations.

I'm not planning on downloading any data from the database but instead I want the user to work directly on the data stored in the db.

Currently BCS is not installed and I'm wondering if I can do this all in SPD then why have BCS. What does it offer over SPD and would my project benefit?

Thanks

Tuesday, July 5, 2016 9:46 AM

All replies

• so... two things...

1. SPD can be used to create datagrids which SHOW data from an external data source... this is READ ONLY, and does NOT provide the filtering/etc that users expect from list views... but this does not require BCS.

2. SPD can be used to create External Content Types (ECTs) that the BCS executes... these are DESIGNED in SPD, but they ABSOLUTELY require BCS... from the ECT you can create External Lists to perform CRUD operations, filtering, etc... you can also use external data as metadata in SharePoint "native" lists... or create profile pages, link to custom actions, index with search, etc.

Scott Brickey
    MCTS, MCPD, MCITP
    www.sbrickey.com
    Strategic Data Systems - for all your SharePoint needs

Tuesday, July 5, 2016 5:01 PM
  • Hi

Thanks for your response,

Using BCS option, does the data remain in the DB or does a copy get downloaded to SharePoint. Ideally I want to keep data in one place and that's the DB.

I've had some success with SPD and am able to VIEW data using a asp:SqlDataSource and datagridview. I also added a meaningless static UpdateCommand and now can see an edit option in the table. Upon clicking the edit link all the fields become editable but when pressing update after the change I get an error message. Its almost there without BCS but maybe an error in the way I've added the UpdateCommand as I've added a static where clause.
    Am I doing something that's not intended here by hand cranking the code or is the best option BCS. 

Code from SPD:

<asp:SqlDataSource runat="server" id="sqlDS1" ProviderName="System.Data.OracleClient" ConnectionString="Password=XXXXX; User Id=ARLXXXX; Data Source=DWName;" DataSourceMode="DataReader" SelectCommand="SELECT * From TEST_TABLE" UpdateCommand ="UPDATE TEST_TABLE SET NAME='Alfred' WHERE NAME='jon'"> </asp:SqlDataSource>

Thanks

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 10:11 AM