Windows 7 Pro x64 freezing within minutes of desktop loading. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I built my PC on Wednesday of last week. It has run amazingly since then, until this morning. Within minutes of loading the Desktop environment (Aero, pure defaults other than 2 extra taskbar pins), the computer just freezes. I cannot Ctrl+Alt+Delete out of it, nor can I do anything other than a hard restart. I've let it sit for about 15 minutes just to confirm it's not hanging for indexing/other purposes.

The only programs, aside from updated drivers, installed on the system are World of Warcraft, Skype, Ventrilo, Microsoft Security Essentials and Google Chrome. Chrome, World of Warcraft, Microsoft SE, and Ventrilo were installed late last week (Friday or Saturday) and Skype was installed a day or two ago. I disabled Skype in msconfig's startup processes, but left Google Update active.

Here are the specs of my PC:
    Intel i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz Quadcore
    Corsair XMS3 8GB (4x2GB) DDR3 (1.65V)
    Asus P7H55/USB3 LGA 1156 board
    500GB SATA HDD (Seagate)
    Asus Nvidia ENGTS450 Graphics Card (1GB Memory)
    Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W PSU
    **Model #'s available upon request**

I used the PC for a 4-1/2 hour gaming session last night and nothing locked up, froze, lost connectivty, etc. Only when I turned it on this morning did I start receiving the lockups. I've booted into Safe Mode with Networking and didn't lockup over the course of about 10-15 minutes of troubleshooting. After the freezes began happening, I booted into BIOS as well and changed the DRAM Voltage to 1.65V (The recommended voltage on Newegg for my RAM; my motherboard was running the sticks at 1.55V pre-manual change) and checked my Hardware Monitor to make sure it wasn't a heating issue. The CPU was around 47 Cels after I rebooted from letting it sit frozen for the 15 minutes.

Any help would be appreciated!

EDIT: There were a couple of Event Viewer warnings, most of them just EventID: 3008 that the system restarted unexpectedly. Will post them after class.

• Edited by JEBain Thursday, November 4, 2010 4:10 PM Forgot to mention Event Viewer was checked.
    Thursday, November 4, 2010 3:30 PM

Answers

• Hi,

After you changed the memory’s Voltage. Does the issue persists?

You may have a full test on your memory. Make sure the issue is not caused by the memory.

You also can try the Clean Boot.

• Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Friday, November 26, 2010 4:04 AM
    Monday, November 8, 2010 8:27 AM