Start up Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, My friend has purchased a Compaq laptop running on the windows 7 system. We set it up with a user name and password on start up. He has just connected wirelessly to the net via sky.com but after he shut down his laptop and later restarted it the welcome screen appears with his user name and the password box. However when he now enters his password he gets the message that his user profile cannot be started and the pc restarts automatically and the welcome screen reappears as above .  Can anyone help please.

Andy.

Friday, April 23, 2010 12:27 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The user profile can be damaged.

I also would like to suggest you boot into another user account to create a new user account.

If you do not have another user account, please check if the built-in administrator account is enabled in Safe Mode.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, April 26, 2010 6:20 AM

All replies

• If you haven't done so already, you're probably going to need to boot to the Windows 7 disc and do a repair or an in-place upgrade.  It may offer you the opportunity to do a System Restore to the configuration that he was able to log into successfully.  I'd definitely try that first.

-Noel

• Proposed as answer by Noel Carboni Sunday, April 25, 2010 7:10 PM
    Sunday, April 25, 2010 7:10 PM
  • Hi,

The user profile can be damaged.

I also would like to suggest you boot into another user account to create a new user account.

If you do not have another user account, please check if the built-in administrator account is enabled in Safe Mode.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, April 26, 2010 6:20 AM