none
Copying Selected Files Over Network RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys.

can someone please shed some light on this for me, as I am a newbie to Powershell. 

I am hopeful that someone can provide me with a sample of a working script where I can copy .XML files from one PC to another over c$ command, if that is possible

c:>Programdata>Progit..File01.xml

and copy to 

c:>Programdata>Progit..File01.xml (NewMachine)

Its sounds really straight forward but I am struggling to start.

Friday, August 4, 2017 7:47 PM

Answers

• Hi B8oxing 

You can use copy-item below would copy from a local machine to a remote computer. 

Copy-Item -Path "C:\ProgramData\progit\file01.xml" -Destination "\\Newcompuer\c$\ProgramData\progit\file01.xml"

If you want to copy from a remote comptuer to another remote computer you could use

Copy-Item -Path "\\Comp1\c$\ProgramData\progit\file01.xml" -Destination "\\Comp2\c$\ProgramData\progit\file01.xml"

Sunday, August 6, 2017 10:57 AM

All replies

• What does your question have to do with PowerShell?

Are you familiar with using any kind of command line? If not, I recommend using the Windows Explorer GUI to copy files.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Friday, August 4, 2017 8:09 PM
  • help Copy-Item -full

Just use the copy command.

"c$" is not a command; it is an Admin share.

\_(ツ)_/

Friday, August 4, 2017 8:43 PM
  • Hi B8oxing 

You can use copy-item below would copy from a local machine to a remote computer. 

Copy-Item -Path "C:\ProgramData\progit\file01.xml" -Destination "\\Newcompuer\c$\ProgramData\progit\file01.xml"

If you want to copy from a remote comptuer to another remote computer you could use

Copy-Item -Path "\\Comp1\c$\ProgramData\progit\file01.xml" -Destination "\\Comp2\c$\ProgramData\progit\file01.xml"

Sunday, August 6, 2017 10:57 AM