none
Sysprep question when deploying Win 2003 image in MDT 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• I want to capture a Windows 2003 image from an IBM HS21 bladeserver where I have injected a working QLogic HBA driver. After running the Sysprep & Capture task the server won't boot again, it just hangs on the Windows splash screen. When I try to deploy the image I captured I get the same problem even if I inject the same driver that I used during the initial installation.

I have very litte experience from using Sysprep so I'm not sure about what it does exactly during the capture task, but why would the storage driver work in an unattended installation and not when deploying an image?

Thursday, March 13, 2014 3:02 PM

All replies

• How are you injecting it currently?
    Thursday, March 13, 2014 3:54 PM
  • It's injected in the Preinstall section of the task sequence. That goes for both the unattended install and the image deploy. 
    Thursday, March 13, 2014 4:55 PM
  • Windows Server 2003 works differently when it comes to injecting drivers into the image (as compared to Vista/2008 and newer OS'es). You need to "inject" the drivers on the image itself just before the sysprep command. This is for "boot" drivers where the OS is located on. If the OS is located on a SATA disk connected to a standard controller you should be fine.

Typically if you don't have the right boot driver, you would get a BSOD 0x0000007b. The fact that the machine "hangs" is a *different* problem. Is it possible that you have a injected a x86 driver into a x64 OS (or vise versa).  Either way, you have driver problems, time to go back to square one and verify the source of all binaries you have injected into your image.

-k

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Thursday, March 13, 2014 5:16 PM
  • Additionally, get off of Windows Server 2003, and onto a modern OS like 2012 :^)

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Thursday, March 13, 2014 5:17 PM
  • There should be a preinstall injection of your driver selection profile and then a post install run of ZTIDrivers.wsf, you can look inside of a standard deployment sequence to see this step. 

If you feel that sysprep is deleting your drivers, you can configure this inside of your unattend of your build sequence -

Microsoft-Windows-PnPSysprep.

<settings pass="generalize">
      <component name="Microsoft-Windows-PnpSysprep">
        <PersistAllDeviceInstalls>true</PersistAllDeviceInstalls>
      </component>

This will persist all device drivers through sysprep.

Hope this helps.

Ryan

Thursday, March 13, 2014 5:19 PM
  • Trust me, dealing with Windows 2003 is *not* my choice...

The only drivers that I inject are the storage and network drivers, and both of them work in the unattended installation so I'm just trying to understand why they wouldn't work in an image deployment scenario.

Thursday, March 13, 2014 5:22 PM
  • Thanks for the tip Ryan, but is this valid for Windows 2003 since there's no unattend.xml?
    Thursday, March 13, 2014 5:56 PM
  • As Keith said, you should probably think about deprecating that OS. I did find this --

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH109662

It might give you some insight into what he's talking about and how to add them to the sysprep.inf file, unattends predecessor.  I'm not as experienced in older technologies as I really didn't get into system building until a few years ago.

Thursday, March 13, 2014 7:00 PM