none
Does a secondary DPM need to "see" the actual protected servers or just the primary DPM RRS feed

• Question

• Does a secondary need to see the actual protected servers or just the primary DPM?

Life is complicated and so is our network. Trust me on this.

The primary DPM  is onsite and  the secondary DPM is offsite. Due to someone spending lots of money on switches and firewalls that  don't work well together, we have a very peculiar setup. The upshot is the secondary server can communicate with the primary, but not with the actual protected servers. However as the secondary DPM is *just* protecting the primary, perhaps there is no need??????

Saturday, July 20, 2013 11:39 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The secondary DPM server does need to be able to communicate with the protected servers. The secondary is designed to be able to assume the role of the primary should it fail, so needs full access to the servers it's protecting.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sunday, July 21, 2013 7:23 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The secondary DPM server does need to be able to communicate with the protected servers. The secondary is designed to be able to assume the role of the primary should it fail, so needs full access to the servers it's protecting.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sunday, July 21, 2013 7:23 PM
  • I am having Primary and Secondary DPM 2012 SP1 also.

when any protected server is restarted or not reachable. then Secondary DPM is also starts throwing alerts and events like the protected agent is not reachable. and its stop synchronizing and creating recovery points.

So, I think secondary DPM also requires to be communicated with protected agents.

Sunday, August 25, 2013 2:48 PM