How to install RDP CALs pack on Windows Server 2012 R2 (member of NT domain) RRS feed

• Question

• OS: Windows Server 2012R2 (64-bit), member of NT (Samba 3) domain.

Task: install RDP CAL pack, to allow connecting above its default 3 sessions limit.

Problem: when setting up RDP licensing/other required service, I came to a problem: RDP access broker service requires AD type of domain to be installed.

The server is part of NT (Samba 3) domain and we have no intention to change domain type only to satisfy an auxiliary service.

Is it possible to enable additional RDP CALs on Windows Server 2012 R2 without mandatory joining an AD? The license control available up to Windows Server 2008 has been removed from Windows Server 2012, I can't bypass installing broker and the rest of related services.

Thank you for any information.

Monday, April 21, 2014 3:29 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You may install RD Session Host and RD Licensing Role Services using Server Manager.  After that you can use RD Licensing Manager (licmgr.exe) to Activate the server and install your purchased RDS CALs.  Finally, you need to configure the licensing mode and Specify the licensing server name using group policy setting.  You can do this using gpedit.msc, the below are the settings:

Computer Configuration\ Administrative Templates\ Windows Components\ Remote Desktop Services\ Remote Desktop Session Host\ Licensing

Use the specified Remote Desktop license servers

Set the Remote Desktop licensing mode

Please note that full RDS functionality requires that the server be joined to an Active Directory domain.  Because of this several features will not work in the above configuration.  For example, you will not be able to use the RDS GUI in Server Manager, or most of the RDS powershell commands, publish RemoteApps (unless you manually make registry changes), and several other features may not function, etc.  If all you need is the basic ability for users to connect using Remote Desktop to a full desktop session then the above configuration should be okay.  For configuration and management you will need to use group policy, wmi commands, ts command line utilities, registry edits, etc.

Thanks.

-TP

Friday, April 25, 2014 4:45 AM

All replies

• Hi,

you might find the dedicated TS/RDS forum is better suited to your question:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?forum=winserverTS

Some related information which may be helpful:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/cbffb2d4-ff9d-49ee-a9ce-a60db2262422/managing-server-2012-rds-in-a-workgroup?forum=winserverTS

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2833839/en-au

http://ryanmangansitblog.com/2013/10/30/deploying-a-rdsh-server-in-a-workgroup-rds-2012-r2/

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Monday, April 21, 2014 4:45 AM
  • Hi,

Do you need any other assistance?

Thanks.

Dharmesh Solanki

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 1:27 AM
  • OS: Windows Server 2012R2 (64-bit), member of NT (Samba 3) domain.

Task: install RDP CAL pack, to allow connecting above its default 3 sessions limit.

Problem: when setting up RDP licensing/other required service, I came to a problem: RDP access broker service requires AD type of domain to be installed.

The server is part of NT (Samba 3) domain and we have no intention to change domain type only to satisfy an auxiliary service.

Is it possible to enable additional RDP CALs on Windows Server 2012 R2 without mandatory joining an AD? The license control available up to Windows Server 2008 has been removed from Windows Server 2012, I can't bypass installing broker and the rest of related services.

Please do not redirect me back to Windows Server 2012 Setup forum.

Thank you for any useful information.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 3:24 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks.

Dharmesh Solanki

I have posted the answer to the proposed forum whilst studying the suggested links.

If they contain the direct answer to my request/useful instructions, I will mark the question answered.

Thank you, Don!
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 3:28 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks.

Dharmesh Solanki

The post to other forum has been pasted here. It means I will get no assistance from that forum.
    Friday, April 25, 2014 4:22 AM
  • Hi,

You may install RD Session Host and RD Licensing Role Services using Server Manager.  After that you can use RD Licensing Manager (licmgr.exe) to Activate the server and install your purchased RDS CALs.  Finally, you need to configure the licensing mode and Specify the licensing server name using group policy setting.  You can do this using gpedit.msc, the below are the settings:

Computer Configuration\ Administrative Templates\ Windows Components\ Remote Desktop Services\ Remote Desktop Session Host\ Licensing

Use the specified Remote Desktop license servers

Set the Remote Desktop licensing mode

Please note that full RDS functionality requires that the server be joined to an Active Directory domain.  Because of this several features will not work in the above configuration.  For example, you will not be able to use the RDS GUI in Server Manager, or most of the RDS powershell commands, publish RemoteApps (unless you manually make registry changes), and several other features may not function, etc.  If all you need is the basic ability for users to connect using Remote Desktop to a full desktop session then the above configuration should be okay.  For configuration and management you will need to use group policy, wmi commands, ts command line utilities, registry edits, etc.

Thanks.

-TP

Friday, April 25, 2014 4:45 AM
  • Hi,

You may install RD Session Host and RD Licensing Role Services using Server Manager.  After that you can use RD Licensing Manager (licmgr.exe) to Activate the server and install your purchased RDS CALs.  Finally, you need to configure the licensing mode and Specify the licensing server name using group policy setting.  You can do this using gpedit.msc, the below are the settings: [...]

-TP

Thank you very much!

That worked. We indeed need at the moment only basic RDS functionality for all the CALs we've purchased.

And using qwinsta/rwinsta allows to list/remove RDS sessions from command line
    Friday, May 2, 2014 6:22 AM