Send To > Mail Recipient fails when sending filetype registered with App-V Client RRS feed

• Question

• I have an interesting issue.

I have a local install of Outlook 2007.  Adobe Reader is installed on all of these boxes, and 90% of my users have access to a Virtualized instance of Adobe 9 Pro or Standard for editing PDFs.

I have found that, when a user right clicks on a PDF and has access to Adobe Pro or Standard (delivered via App-V), Outlook fails to open.  However, if they attempt a Send To on any other file type, Outlook opens with the file attached.

Is it possible that the system is looking inside the bubble for the virtual adobe product and not finding a mail client?  I wouldn't expect it to do this, but if it's the case, how would I fix it?  Would I remove any references to the email client and mail handler from the appv sequence?

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 3:43 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Use this article;

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315458

Using that article and Process Monitor to determine what registry keys and files are accessed you should be able to determine what is missing.

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack
    Wednesday, December 7, 2011 5:42 PM
  • What's inside the Acrobat package that could be overriding Outlook? Did you have Outlook installed and configured on the sequencing VM before sequencing Acrobat?

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Wednesday, December 7, 2011 5:55 PM
  • Znack:

I did use procmon to look and see what was going on.  It's quite a bit of activity that is logged.  Nothing jumped out at me.  I was looking for something referncing mailto, or mapi, or any type of email setting and I didn't see anything.  I am definately continuing on this route unless someone can help me down another.

Aaron:

Outlook wasn't on the profiling machine.  We're mixed 2003/2007/2010.  Our standard is 2003, so it gets installed on all of the boxes.  2007/2010 are run as virtual apps. 

If it's "the bubble", then I should be able to just identify the key that is getting put inside the bubble and either delete it from the package, or set it to merge, correct?

I'm not confident that this is the path to the problem, though.  The explorer instance isn't being launched in the bubble.  At what point in right clicking the file in explorer and choosing send to does App-V kick in? 

I understand that can sound like I'm doubting you, please don't take it that way.  I'm actually trying to get a better understanding of what is going on, hence the questions.

Appreciate the help!

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 6:19 PM
  • Have you closed Outlook (and anything that could be loading MAPI components) before attempting the Send To action? 

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Wednesday, December 7, 2011 7:54 PM
  • Yes.  I tried this with no other applications opened.
    Wednesday, December 7, 2011 7:55 PM
  • Hello,

If reviewing the article above, there are specific things that you could look after. Bullet 1-5 explains the workflow of possible MAPI checks to determine what mail-client it should use.

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 6:36 AM