Secondary site server MP connection from clients RRS feed

• Question

• I found this information while reading a blog

Management Points

Your management point is used by clients to communicate with the site, any policy you create or deployment you create is sent to management points for your clients. In Configuration Manager 2012 you can have multiple management points in your hierarchy and clients will pick a management point based on the capabilities of the client and the management point, for example if the client has a certificate it will preference HTTPS management points first (only if your site is set to HTTP and HTTPS communication).

With distribution points you can tie them to boundary groups, you cannot do this with management points so clients in one location may well end up going over the WAN to find the appropriate management point, you cannot do much about this (I think it would be great if you could treat management points in the same way as distribution points in this manner).

===================================================================================

I want to know if the second para is true ?

Monday, June 2, 2014 5:23 PM

Answers

• Hi

This is true. Multiple Management Point within a Stand-alone primary site are used for fault tolerance and is choosen randomly and there is no guarantee that any specific MP will be used if you have more than one.

But it you have a Secondary Sites - Clients will use that MP when within the boandaries of the secondary site.
    Monday, June 2, 2014 5:37 PM

All replies

• Hi

This is true. Multiple Management Point within a Stand-alone primary site are used for fault tolerance and is choosen randomly and there is no guarantee that any specific MP will be used if you have more than one.

But it you have a Secondary Sites - Clients will use that MP when within the boandaries of the secondary site.
    Monday, June 2, 2014 5:37 PM
  • Thanks for a quick response.

Monday, June 2, 2014 5:39 PM
  • One quick additional note: clients specifically use boundaries within content location boundary groups to locate secondary sites: http://blog.configmgrftw.com/secondary-sites-and-boundary-groups/

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Monday, June 2, 2014 6:10 PM