WSUS, Computers in wrong Target Group RRS feed

• Question

• We have a WSUS server (Version 6.3.9600.18694) which runs fine for last year.

Suddenly computers are moving from their target group to “Unsigned Computers”. The strange thing is, that most computers in the “Unsigned Computers” shows the correct target group in their Group membership (besides all computers).

The WSUS server is setup to “Use Group Policy or registry settings on computers”, and (as far as I can see) the clients are set up correctly. The target groups are present at the WSUS server, and there are still some computers which still reports in the target group. To make it stranger: some of this computers in the correct target group show their group membership as “All Computers, Unassigned Computers”

Small part of a clients registry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]  "TargetGroup"="My Custom Target Group"  "TargetGroupEnabled"=dword:00000001

Friday, December 15, 2017 8:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on your description , the server are listed in wrong computer group but the "Group membership" are showing correct .

I also did a test in my lab . 

1. I changed server behavior to "manually moving" .

2. move a computer to anther computer group (new10)

3. change "manually moving" to " GPO / reg targeting" (and , re-detect WSUS server) , it result into "group membership" and "current computer group" mismatch :

I'd suggest you perform "rename/delete software distribution folder" , "reset wsus agent components" , "re-configure GPO setting" for a problematic client to check if that computer will be listed in correct computer group (after a successful report -- please check the date of "Last Status Report" ) .

EDIT:

After I restarted the WSUS server , "mismatch" disappeared .

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Elton_Ji Tuesday, December 19, 2017 1:35 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Elton_Ji Wednesday, January 10, 2018 4:04 PM
    Monday, December 18, 2017 5:22 AM