none
Create extra 'Active' partition not working when mutiple partitions specified in task sequence RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I have a problem in MDT 2013, I am trying to install a machine (OS 2012R2) with 2 partitions (C 100GB and D the rest of the available space). The problem is that if I specify the two partitions in the task sequence, the extra partition is never created. (even if the checkbox is checked)

If I delete the second partition from my task sequence (so keeping only the C 100GB), the extra partition is created !

I even tried to create 2 partitions c 100GB and D 100GB with 100GB remaining free, in case the problem was the free space, but no... the same problem, the extra partition is not created.

Can someone please tell me how to solve this ?

I know I can create a postinstall script to create the second partition but... why is it not working during the installation ?

Thanks in advance for your help

Marc.

Sunday, February 1, 2015 2:21 PM

Answers

• Hi Marc,

I've found a functioning workaround that seems to solve the issue.  The only problem is that it requires modifying one of the .wsf scripts!

In your %DeploymentShare%\Scripts folder is ZTIdiskpart.wsf.  On line 279 is a statement which reads "ElseIf iDiskPartitionCount = 1 and iDiskIndex = 0  then" - from what I can tell this means that if we have more than one partition defined in our task sequence, then the active partition will never get created (because iDiskPartitionCount will actually be 2 or more).

I've change this in my local copy to say:

ElseIf iDiskPartitionCount >= 1 and iDiskIndex = 0  then

(Note the >= instead of =) so that it allows the creation of the active disk partition if there's 1 or more partitions defined.

I've tested with the active partition box both ticked and unticked (always with 2 partitions defined) and so far it  all works as you'd expect.  I've not yet tried with only 1 partition defined but I see no reason why there should be an issue (obviously if anyone else knows of one then I'm very willing to learn!).

But at the moment it seems to be a functioning workaround.

As always backup the scripts before modifying them etc. etc.

Good luck with your testing!

Peter

• Marked as answer by MVanderhaegen Sunday, February 8, 2015 8:00 AM
    Friday, February 6, 2015 1:21 PM

All replies

• Hi Marc,

Whilst I haven't yet found a solution I have just stumbled upon exactly the same issue, albeit whilst deploying Win7 rather than Server 2012.  I'll tinker around at this end and be sure to let you know if I can come up with anything!

Good luck,

Peter

Friday, February 6, 2015 10:21 AM
  • Hi Marc,

I've found a functioning workaround that seems to solve the issue.  The only problem is that it requires modifying one of the .wsf scripts!

In your %DeploymentShare%\Scripts folder is ZTIdiskpart.wsf.  On line 279 is a statement which reads "ElseIf iDiskPartitionCount = 1 and iDiskIndex = 0  then" - from what I can tell this means that if we have more than one partition defined in our task sequence, then the active partition will never get created (because iDiskPartitionCount will actually be 2 or more).

I've change this in my local copy to say:

ElseIf iDiskPartitionCount >= 1 and iDiskIndex = 0  then

(Note the >= instead of =) so that it allows the creation of the active disk partition if there's 1 or more partitions defined.

I've tested with the active partition box both ticked and unticked (always with 2 partitions defined) and so far it  all works as you'd expect.  I've not yet tried with only 1 partition defined but I see no reason why there should be an issue (obviously if anyone else knows of one then I'm very willing to learn!).

But at the moment it seems to be a functioning workaround.

As always backup the scripts before modifying them etc. etc.

Good luck with your testing!

Peter

• Marked as answer by MVanderhaegen Sunday, February 8, 2015 8:00 AM
    Friday, February 6, 2015 1:21 PM
  • Hello Peter,

Thank you very much, it is working perfectly with your workaround.

I was planning to go the other way around by creating the second partition in a post deployment task but your way is much simpler :)

Thanks again

Marc.

Sunday, February 8, 2015 8:05 AM
  • No problem Marc, glad it worked for you :-)
    Monday, February 9, 2015 10:08 AM
  • Hello,
    I have a problem in MDT 2013, I am trying to install a machine (OS 2012R2) with 2 partitions (C 100GB and D the rest of the available space). The problem is that if I specify the two partitions in the task sequence, the extra partition is never created. (even if the checkbox is checked)

Thanks in advance for your help

Marc.

Strange,

I had no problem at all. I just took the default standard task sequence, reduced the first partition (=the boot partition) to let's say 150GB and added a second partition being 100% remaining disk space. You can of course take a smaller percentage. I did not need to change scripts....

Paul

• Edited by KZen Muug Monday, February 9, 2015 11:34 AM
    Monday, February 9, 2015 10:17 AM