none
"Windows cannot connect to the group policy client service" RRS feed

• Question

• I know someone else has asked about this error message, but the incidence here is quite different. I am running a Dell Inspiron 1420 laptop on which there has only ever been one account -- mine. One day the computer suddenly crashed  and when I restarted it, my desktop would not load, none of my programs would run, and I encountered the message listed in the subject line of this post.

I enabled the Administrator Account, tried to manually modify the registry as another thread instructed me to do. That did not work. There was no duplicate account key with a .bak ending. Even after I accessed the hidden Administrator account, I encountered the same error message. The computer will not let me create any new accounts.

I am not linked in to any servers, nor is my account a part of any larger network. My home does not even have internet, and I was not online when the problem occurred. 

If anyone can help with this problem I would greatly appreciate it. I am totally lost. 

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Sunday, January 9, 2011 4:54 AM Moved to more relevant forum category (From:Windows Vista Setup)
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 4:37 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This issue may occur when the following situations are true:

1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SvcHost was with wrong permissions
    2. The Windows Firewall was enabled and wrong configured.

At this point, please grand proper permission on the registry key and disable Windows firewall to check the result.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, January 10, 2011 9:33 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This issue may occur when the following situations are true:

1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SvcHost was with wrong permissions
    2. The Windows Firewall was enabled and wrong configured.

At this point, please grand proper permission on the registry key and disable Windows firewall to check the result.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, January 10, 2011 9:33 AM
  • can you expand on "wrong permissions" ? how do you set permissions on a registry key ? there are many keys under SvcHost, do they all have to be removed and edited ?

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 5:07 PM
  • I FOUND SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM!

The crash of your computer caused that - you are absolutely right!

I had this issue on my laptop since November, and it really bugged me.  I sifted through the event log and found the pattern of events that preceded the issue, and, probably, caused it.

In short, the pattern is as follows: Windows updates run automatically as scheduled, and when reboot is initiated after the updates are finished, the computer crashes (probably during reboot sequence).  When it boots up, it reports that the last shutdown was unexpected, and the issue begins to occur.

I spent 2 days trying to dig out a solution from the Internet, to no avail, until I came across this page.  It doesn't say anything about this particular problem, but it gives more information about SVCHOST process that starts many services, including Group Policy Client.  It looks like during reboot a vital registry settings were lost during crash and Group Policy Client "don't know" how to start.  Let me explain:

There are two places to look in the registry:

1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services this path should contain gpsvc key (a folder), which is responsible for service parameters and configuration.  I found that the key was intact, so, you do not touch anything here - just check that the key exists.
    2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SVCHOST This is the most important path you should look into, as it must contain the keys and values referred in the key #1.  Below are descriptions what must be present there.
    • There must be Multi-String value called GPSvcGroup. My laptop was missing it.  So, you should create multi-string value named GPSvcGroup and assign it value GPSvc.
    • Next, you must create a key (a folder) and name it GPSvcGroup - this key normally should be there, but, again, it was missin on my laptop.
    • Then open newly-created GPSvcGroup folder and create 2 DWORD values:
    1. First called AuthenticationCapabilities and you must give it a value of 0x00003020 (or 12320 in decimal)
    2. Second is called CoInitializeSecurityParam and it must have value of 1.

Once you complete all steps above, reboot the computer and the problem will be fixed.

Video walkthrough for those who are not very technical is here: http://youtu.be/4m5KEmckWK4

I am so relieved I was able to fix it, and hope this will help others with the similar issue.

• Proposed as answer by SQL-ER Saturday, February 2, 2013 5:37 AM
    • Edited by SQL-ER Sunday, February 17, 2013 5:58 PM
    Saturday, February 2, 2013 5:33 AM
  • Thanks SQL-ER!!!

You not only explained what happened, but your fix resolved my issue!! Thanks so much!!

Thursday, February 14, 2013 4:20 PM
  • This issue was so wide-spread and I was able to trace it to Windows Vista in year 2009.  The fact that there were no solution posted ANYWHERE was so shocking.  I decided to make a video tutorial how to fix the issue and I posted it on YouTube.  Enjoy, guys: http://youtu.be/4m5KEmckWK4
    • Edited by SQL-ER Sunday, February 17, 2013 6:03 PM
    Sunday, February 17, 2013 6:03 PM
  • This guy looks like a spammer.I can see him spamming every microsoft forum i knew of.He wants others to watch his youtube videos and thanks himself using fake accounts.I was able to fix the same problem by just deleting the gpsvc key and importing a new one.

• Proposed as answer by gpsvc Thursday, February 21, 2013 2:16 AM
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 2:16 AM
  • Really?  This is good advice only to people who would know how to do this. His video is excellent for SOME people who need a little more help; especially people who are not up-to-date on the Windows7 OS... Better advice would be to add a link or type in how to do this... :-)
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 6:21 AM
  • I agree. I looked everywhere for this solution and you are right. Most answers were to re-install Win7 64-bit OS. Your video helped tremendously because you PROVIDED A DETAILED SOLUTION. Unlike some of the usleless negative answers floating around on the websites.  I even used your video by pausing it in-between each direction to ensure I was following you correctly. --Thank you soo much!!!
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 6:35 AM
  • This guy looks like a spammer.I can see him spamming every microsoft forum i knew of.He wants others to watch his youtube videos and thanks himself using fake accounts.I was able to fix the same problem by just deleting the gpsvc key and importing a new one.

LMAO!  Me? Spammer?

Yes, I posted to many threads - it is true.  I did it for a simple reason of reaching the solution out to people who struggle with it, as THIS IS THE ONLY solution in existence so far to fix the problem. 

You mention deleting GPSVC key and re-importing it.  Obviously, you haven't read my original post.  GPSVC key IS NOT AN ISSUE HERE.  It is not corrupt and has all the right values.  So deleting and re-importing it will not make a difference.

And, even if your solution fixes the issue, where from do you suppose to re-import it?  From a .reg file floating in the Internet?  How certain you are that the file is not implanting a malicious stuff in your registry???  Good luck with that!

• Edited by SQL-ER Thursday, February 21, 2013 3:41 PM
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 3:33 PM
  • Thanks SQL-ER - solved my problem!  Thanks for taking the time to share.  Ignore the haters.

Below is a summary of the SVCHOST tree changes needed:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SVCHOST

GPSvcGroup REG_MULTI_SZ GPSvc

GPSvcGroup (Key)

AuthenticationCapabilities DWORD 0x3020 (12320)

CoInitializeSecurityParam DWORD 1

Friday, March 1, 2013 2:13 AM
  • Thank you very much!!!
    Saturday, March 2, 2013 8:45 AM
  • Thanks SQL-ER
    Thursday, July 25, 2013 10:04 PM
  • Was having a similar probem, but the GPSvc registry fix didn't work for me as all the keys and values already existed.

I lost my sound control, and all windows applications like Device Manager.

Found this on another forum and it worked for me. Turns out it had to do with my environmental variable %SystemRoot%

I hope this helps some of you.

By wmz at superuser.com{

Please check the type of the value you have as Windir. You probably inadvertently changed it from REG_EXPAND_SZ to REG_SZ.
    You have to do it directly in registry (GUI panels will not show you the difference):

Start Registry editor, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment.
    Check that windir has a type of REG_EXPAND_SZ.
    If not, re-create the entry to be: windir REG_EXPAND_SZ %SystemRoot%

Restart your computer, dont just log on and off and check if it works

}Brought to you by wmz at superuser.com

Thursday, August 1, 2013 7:49 AM
  • The GPSvc registry fix didn't work for me as well as all the keys and values already existed. I right click on the AuthenticationCapabilities DWORD 0x3020 (12320) in GPSvcGroup (Key), then modify and click on Decimal. And it worked!!!

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 12:29 PM
  • Thanks so much for your help.

This really fixed the problem.

Appreciate it.

Sunday, December 21, 2014 9:51 PM
  • I don't even know how to look into the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services and see if everything is ok.....could you guide me thru it?
    Friday, May 29, 2015 2:12 PM
  • Thanks - excellent explanation and issue resolved. 
    Tuesday, February 23, 2016 5:20 AM
  • Awesome. So concise, yet so detailed. Saved my day. Thanks very much amigo
    Saturday, May 7, 2016 12:40 PM