none
Windows 10 Firewall Help! Please? RRS feed

• Question

• hi,

i have this app and it connects to the internet in a strange way..

app 1 connects to the internet mainly via other software that acts as a server for it, i will call it app 2.

i use a VPN, so to get app 1 to work properly i need to put the ip4 address in app 1 which is like 10.x.x.x in the settings.

i want to stop app 1.exe from connecting to the internet directly as it does auto updates and the new version is unstable also i don't want it do have access to my local network either.

please could someone tell me how to do this is windows 10 firewall?

with pictures if you could?

thx

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 6:28 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Refer 'Part 2 - Allow/Prevent Apps Through Windows Defender Firewall In Windows 10' of this guide:

https://www.kapilarya.com/how-to-configure-windows-defender-firewall-in-windows-10

Let us know if this helps!

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 5:08 AM
  • Hi, 

I want to confirm my understanding about your issue. Do you mean you want to stop app 1.exe from connecting to Internet and Intranet, but could through VPN, right?

Bests,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 10:27 AM
  • hi,

i only want app1.exe to connect to the internet via app2.exe which acts as a server, with connects thru my vpn.

which it does on its own, but i want to block app1.exe from connecting direct to the internet or my home network. 

so app1.exe must only connect-----> via app2.exe to the internet

so i need to put restrictions on app1.exe on local network, completely blocked and only allow and i use a vpn so the only connection would be to app2.exe ipv4 address 10.x.x.x 

thx

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 6:38 PM
  • Hi Mak Imu,

As we are not sure the function of app2.exe whether it is similar with VPN client or others. So would you provide the exact name of app2.exe?

Please also check your existing network type through Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Windows Defender Firewall.

Bests,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 14, 2018 6:19 AM
  • hi,

i am a tester for a new app in the alpha release build, effectively it is a ftp server like program but with lots of extra features, it is so early the build that it does not even have a name just project961531.exe.

app1.exe is effectively the admin control center and app2.exe is gateway that app1.exe accepts incoming and outgoing connections. app1.exe in settings needs to be pointed at the ipv4 address with a port ie 192.168.100.54:54362, so that is the only connection i want app1.exe to have. app1.exe must not have access to the internet directly through itself or access to my home network.

forget about the VPN.

thx and help?

Saturday, June 23, 2018 6:17 PM