Option to update metadata during mutiple file upload RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In the OOB document library, when we upload multiple files, it does not provide an option to enter or update the field data(metadata). How can we allow the user to enter the metadata during the multiple file upload option?

Thanks,

Prashanth
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, June 8, 2011 7:15 AM Moving to General to get a discussion about whether this is worth doing - before the need for programming it. (From:SharePoint - Development and Programming (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 5:46 AM

Answers

• Hi,

In this scenario I would suggest you to do little customization that will full fill your requirement.

You can customize Upload.aspx and you  can add a field here say F1. While uploading the documents a value will be provided to this and you can apply one event receiver that will get fired up wile uploading the documents and this value will be then applied to the field.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks,

Rahul Rashu

• Marked as answer by Peng Lei Tuesday, June 14, 2011 8:39 AM
    Friday, June 10, 2011 7:21 AM
  • Prashanth,

I don't think that you're thinking around the limitations of the technology.  SharePoint in any version doesn't cater for the setting of metadata whilst in anupload.  This sort of functionality has only recently been added to somthing like Facebook, and even this is limited at best in that it allows you to generate a new album only and then asks you to set individual pictures afterwards.

Personally I feel that Mike has already given you a viable solution.  Uploading 20 files and the editing their metadata afterwards is simply: -

• Bulk Upload
    • Click Datasheet
    • Manually enter the value into one column
    • Copy and Paste this into the remainder of the appropriate documents
    • Repeat as desired

Rahul's original suggestion works if you decide to seperate these uploads into individual document libraries or folders.  This still has the advantage of one configuration option as compared to many.  I'd suggest not getting so wrapped up in the merits of HOW your aim is achieved, but recognising that document uploads and subsequent metadata application is going to take some form of manual work.  Developing a custom solution for something like this would be a bit of a waste of cash when an immediate solution has perhaps already been proposed.

Steven Andrews | SharePoint Professional | http://www.twitter.com/backpackerd00d | https://baron72.wordpress.com/
    • Edited by Steven AndrewsEditor Friday, June 10, 2011 7:41 AM Edited to correct typo in OP's name in my response.
    Friday, June 10, 2011 7:40 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• It's not going to happen (or be worth doing)

Think about the consequences of this.

1. Select (say) three files

2. Asked to supply the metadata for file 1

3. Asked to supply the metadata for file 2.

4. asked to supply the metadata for file 3.

This would take almost as long as adding the files singly.

The present system means that you have a choice

a) slow but complete - add files one by one with metadata

b) fast but incomplete - add files in bulk but without metadata.

b) is used if your priority is in getting the files (quickly) into the system. There are then methods available (especially use of Datasheet View) for adding metadata to the files in bulk and therefore quickly. The total time taken (Upgrade + Metadata) would usually be less than the time required by your proposed method and would be divided into two separate actions so that it would better fit into your working day.

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 7:14 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the response.

Our requirement is to update only a single field as metadata. For one instance of multiple file upload if I want to give the same value to the field for all the files being currently uploaded, is it possible to develop any custom implementation for this ?

Prashanth
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 6:12 AM
  • Hi,

For the scenario specified by you I would suggest you to define the deafult value in the column you have marked with this metadata.

Thanks,

Rahul Rashu

Thursday, June 9, 2011 7:53 PM
  • Hi Rahul,

Thanks for the response.

The value will be same only in the current multiple file upload and it will change in the next upload. For example, if Person A is uploading files F1, F2 and F3. the value of the field will be V1 for all the three files. But when Person B uploads a set of the files, the value will be V2. So even if the value is same for all files in the same upload, it will change for the next upload.

If I set the default value, then it will remain the same for all the files and the user will have to manually change this value for each upload which will not help the user.

Thanks,

Prashanth
    Friday, June 10, 2011 7:06 AM
  • Hi,

In this scenario I would suggest you to do little customization that will full fill your requirement.

You can customize Upload.aspx and you  can add a field here say F1. While uploading the documents a value will be provided to this and you can apply one event receiver that will get fired up wile uploading the documents and this value will be then applied to the field.

Thanks,

Rahul Rashu

Friday, June 10, 2011 7:21 AM
  • Prashanth,

I don't think that you're thinking around the limitations of the technology.  SharePoint in any version doesn't cater for the setting of metadata whilst in anupload.  This sort of functionality has only recently been added to somthing like Facebook, and even this is limited at best in that it allows you to generate a new album only and then asks you to set individual pictures afterwards.

Personally I feel that Mike has already given you a viable solution.  Uploading 20 files and the editing their metadata afterwards is simply: -

• Bulk Upload
    • Click Datasheet
    • Manually enter the value into one column
    • Copy and Paste this into the remainder of the appropriate documents
    • Repeat as desired

Rahul's original suggestion works if you decide to seperate these uploads into individual document libraries or folders.  This still has the advantage of one configuration option as compared to many.  I'd suggest not getting so wrapped up in the merits of HOW your aim is achieved, but recognising that document uploads and subsequent metadata application is going to take some form of manual work.  Developing a custom solution for something like this would be a bit of a waste of cash when an immediate solution has perhaps already been proposed.

Steven Andrews | SharePoint Professional | http://www.twitter.com/backpackerd00d | https://baron72.wordpress.com/
    • Edited by Steven AndrewsEditor Friday, June 10, 2011 7:41 AM Edited to correct typo in OP's name in my response.
    Friday, June 10, 2011 7:40 AM
    Answerer