Updating a package creates new app, osd, icons etc, " (1)" appended RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

When I update a package with several applications in it Inotice that that for some of the apps the sequences creates a new app and osd. These apps get a " (1)" as suffix and also extra shortcuts with " (1)" appended are created. Any idea how this can be avoided? Would guess that existing apps just would be updated/overwritten.

Monday, November 26, 2012 7:58 AM

All replies

• Are you using Save or Save As in the Sequencer? Are you saving back to the same folder as the original package?

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Monday, November 26, 2012 8:07 AM
  • Hi Aaron,

I just use save.

The parent foldername can be different since I copy the original pacakge from a distribution server to the sequencer. But can that parent folder name be an issue?

Monday, November 26, 2012 8:15 AM
  • Probably you copied the new source files to another folder within the AssetDir while sequencing?

So you end up with:

AssetDir.000\Application version 1.0\app.exe

AssetDir.000\Application version 1.1\app.exe

The sequencer will pickup the new App.exe, and creates a shortcut "App.exe (1)", because "App.exe" allready exist from the previous version.

You can avoid this by overwrite the original exe-file (same path, same filename).

Monday, November 26, 2012 9:21 AM
  • Hi Ben,

That didn't happen. I just opened the prackage for update and copied over some license files, so no actual installation. The original license files were overwritten. I then started the app to make sure new license info was active. That's all.

Monday, November 26, 2012 9:36 AM
  • Ok.

What do you mean by "parent folder" in your previous post, is this your package AssetDir? (sequence folder on the Q-drive)?

Monday, November 26, 2012 9:39 AM
  • indeed
    Monday, November 26, 2012 9:40 AM
  • Then you have two .exe files like I said before.

Like this:

• AssetDir.v1\Application version 1.0\app.exe
    • AssetDir.v2\Application version 1.0\app.exe

So the sequencer sees a new .exe and creates an (1)-shortcut.

Monday, November 26, 2012 10:07 AM
  • No, that's a misunderstanding. AssetDir stays the same. Folder where de sprj resides is the only folder that changed.
    Monday, November 26, 2012 12:28 PM
  • Hello,

The (1) in any shortcut simply means that there are two shortcuts with the same name, but different "configurations" in some way. Could be;

Different parameters

Different executable files

You can determine which by comparing the OSD-files and how they compare in terms of Executable-file they start and the Parameters passed onto that Executable file.

When performing that upgrade - something is altered that causes the generation of the new (1). If you compare the OSD-files, the difference will tell you why there is a difference (different path?).

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Monday, November 26, 2012 1:26 PM