Exchange 2007 is there any issues with using the same name for your Storage Group and Database RRS feed

• Question

• My IT department wants to start a new naming convention and I was wondering if using the same name on both, the Storage Group and the Database would cause any problems.

Thursday, February 17, 2011 2:44 AM

Answers

• Hi,

It shouldn't cause any issues, but for transparency I would not call them exactly the same. Maybe "SG Name" and "DB name" that should make it fairly simple to find what you are searching for.

/Martin

Exchange is a passion not just a collaboration software.
    • Marked as answer by Email Tech Friday, February 18, 2011 5:37 AM
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 9:00 AM
  • Hi Mark
         Storage groups and databases are different object of exchange. So your thought won’t cause any problems.
    Understanding the Impact of Named Property and Replica Identifier Limits on Exchange Databases
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb851492(EXCHG.80).aspx
    Maybe this article is useful to you.
    Friday, February 18, 2011 2:03 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It shouldn't cause any issues, but for transparency I would not call them exactly the same. Maybe "SG Name" and "DB name" that should make it fairly simple to find what you are searching for.

/Martin

Exchange is a passion not just a collaboration software.
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 9:00 AM
  • Hi Mark
         Storage groups and databases are different object of exchange. So your thought won’t cause any problems.
    Understanding the Impact of Named Property and Replica Identifier Limits on Exchange Databases
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb851492(EXCHG.80).aspx
    Maybe this article is useful to you.
    Friday, February 18, 2011 2:03 AM
  • Thank you. I decided to add DB to distinguise the database.
    Friday, February 18, 2011 5:31 AM
  • Appreciate the help. Thank you.
    Friday, February 18, 2011 5:31 AM
  • So if I'm reading this correct the identifier consists of the name plus the GUID so, you would always be looking at a unique identifier.
    Friday, February 18, 2011 5:36 AM