none
DPM service wont start since upgrading 2008R2 server to DC? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

We have been using DPM 2010 for quite a while on our 2008 R2 server. Had a few issues here and there whereby you sometimes need to restart the services but generally speaking, it has been working pretty well.

Yesterday I upgraded this server to be a domain controller and since then I can no longer start the DPM or DPMRA services. ALL DPM services are using the local system account. Have tried changing to domain admin account but same problem.

The message I receive when trying to start DPM is either 'Windows could not start the DPM service on local computer. Error 1067, the process terminated unexpectedly' or 'Windows could not start the DPM service. The service did not return an error'

For starting DPMRA it is 'Windows could not start the DPMRA on local computer. For more information review the system event log. If this is a non Microsoft Service, contact the service vendor and refer to server specific error code 1332. Looked at the DPM alerts in event logs and there is nothing in there relating to these issues, only older events. In the System event logs, the details are the same as the messages displayed when the services wont start.

Tried rebooting, still not working.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?

Thanks very much in advance.

Gary

Thursday, January 13, 2011 4:25 PM

Answers

• Hi Gary,

Please try the following solution:

manually editing

the file "Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS10.MSCRMRPT\Reporting

Services\ReportServer\rsreportserver.config file and changing

<Add Key="SecureConnectionLevel" value="2"/> to have value "0" and restarting the server

then trying continuing your installation

Regards

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 10:13 AM

All replies

• You should probably demote it.  DPM and DC roles do not mix well.  In general I would not run anything else on a DC except maybe DNS and DHCP.  No file services or other stuff.

See this:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399416.aspx

Apparently there is a way to get DPM to work on a DC, but it can only protect local data sources (no other servers).

Thursday, January 13, 2011 11:12 PM
  • Hello Rod,

Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated.

I demoted it from being a DC and deleted the AD roles, rebooted and still got exactly the same error. It's a file server so I can't be without backup for too long so I  tried uninstalling DPM, SQL, deleted all folders created and deleted the user accounts that DPM created. Rebooted and re-installed DPM and now it wont even install. Installs SQL fine but fails the DPM install right at the end with : -

Report Configuration Failed

Verify that SQL Server Reporting Services is installed properly and that is running. Error 812. The WMI service is strated but the SQL reporting service can't be started using the DPM account it is set up with by default, does work if I change to local account though I know I shouldn't need to do this?

Tried installing IIS with all roles then reinstalled, same problem, tried multiple reboots/installations with lots of variations, always get the same problem.

Any ideas as i've tried everything I can think off!

Thanks very much in advance.

Gary

Friday, January 14, 2011 2:51 PM
  • Hi Gary,

Please try the following solution:

manually editing

the file "Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS10.MSCRMRPT\Reporting

Services\ReportServer\rsreportserver.config file and changing

<Add Key="SecureConnectionLevel" value="2"/> to have value "0" and restarting the server

then trying continuing your installation

Regards

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 10:13 AM