Migration SCCM 2007 / MDT 2010 to SCCM 2012 SP1 / MDT 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have the current situation at a customer: they use SCCM 2007 SP2 with MDT 2010 Update 1 integration. MDT 2010 is used for maintaining computer records and computer roles. These roles are linked to computers. A new computer is deployed using an MDT task sequence (in SCCM 2007). During that task sequence software is installed depending on the roles being linked to that computer. This makes sure that when a computer is installed multiple times, the same software is installed over and over again. Without the integration all information about the computer gets lost because of the creation of an obsolete record.

Now the customer is considering a migration to SCCM 2012 SP1 with MDT 2012 integration. I was wondering a few things:

- Can the existing MDT 2010 database be linked to the new MDT 2012 installation?

- Can the MDT 2010 customsettings.ini file be used again? Or do we need to create a new one?

- Can the MDT 2010 task sequences be migrated to SCCM 2012 SP1 / MDT 2012? Or is it recommended to recreate all MDT task sequences?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

B

Thursday, January 31, 2013 2:56 PM

All replies

• It's officially not supported (and does not work) to migrate task sequences from CM07 to CM12 (it can be done by removing some MDT specific steps before the migration though).
    *I* would just backup the CM07 MDT database and restore it either on another server or using another DB name to be used for CM12/MDT2012.
    Re-using cs.ini? It depends on the contents (server names, database names, file names etc).

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

• Edited by TorstenMMVP Friday, February 1, 2013 2:10 PM
    Friday, February 1, 2013 2:09 PM
  • Hi Torsten,

Thanks for your reply

This is a sample of the contents of my customsettings.ini.

[Settings]

Priority=CSettings, CPackages, CApps, CAdmins, CRoles, Locations, LSettings, LPackages, LApps, LAdmins, LRoles, MMSettings, MMPackages, MMApps, MMAdmins, MMRoles, RSettings, RPackages, RApps, RAdmins, Default

Properties=MyCustomProperty, MyCustomProperty2, MyCustomProperty3

[CSettings]

SQLServer=[servername]

Instance=

Database=MDT_CLT

Netlib=DBMSSOCN

DBID=[username]

DBPwd=********

Table=ComputerSettings

Parameters=UUID, AssetTag, SerialNumber, MacAddress

ParameterCondition=OR

Nothing really spectacular :-).