PS/2 mouse dosen't work after installing updates for Vista Business RRS feed

• Question

• Logitech PS2 mouse stopped working after installing updates on 1/14/2009 on Windows Vista Business, Intel DG31PR mortherboard, 2.3 Dual Core, all up to date drivers.  The mouse pointer appears in the center of the screen but does not move when the mouse is moved. The mouse worked fine before the system rebooted for the updates. the model number for the mouse is M-SFB90. Logitech doesn't list it specifically. None of their PS2 mice require drivers to work with Vista nor do they offer any. ALL drivers and security patches are up to date. The mouse works fine on another Vista machine. I swapped a different HDD with Vista in the same box and the mouse worked fine.  A Microsoft PS2 trackball mouse didn't work either nor were there any drivers available.  I unistalled all the updates from that day except the Office 2007 SP1 (it wouldn't let me). I uninstalled the mouse, restarted the computer and came back with the same problem (recent updates still uninstalled).  I put the updates back on and still have the same problem. The hardware manager shows no erreor and says device is functioning properly, but it isn't. In safe mode, the problem is present. Last known configuration didn't help, as the OS boots and logs in without issue. Checked and reset the BIOS settings already. Poped out the C-MOS battery to really blank the BIOS settings. Swapped out the ram.  The power supply is good.  I have no other problems with the machine.   PS2 keyboard works just fine.  I could not find any previous posts with this particular problem.  Please keep in mind, it is NOT a USB malfunction, it's a PS2 mouse in one particular install of Vista problem.

A USB mouse works fine, but I'd like to put it back on the KVM switch, which dosen't support USB. The problem machine is on a KVM switch; I took it off the KVM switch to do my troubleshooting.  I'd like not to have to reinstall all the programs and reconfigure the OS (hours of work I'd like to save, it's a work computer for us IT guys), but if I have to I will. No we don't have a recent image of this machine, server drive space is limited.  There are "more important" images on there. 

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Edited by ElScorcho Thursday, January 15, 2009 6:55 PM Extra Info
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 6:41 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

Thank you for your post.

Since the mouse worked before updating, a quick solution is to restore the system back to the previous status when the issue didn’t occur with System Restore.

(Note: Performing a system restore may cause the loss of the current system settings; therefore, before doing this, please make sure that the system restore point is not too old and set a restore point for the current status.)

Meanwhile, please try the following suggestion:

Check the device driver

===============

1) Click Start, right click Computer and choose Properties.

2) Click Device Manager.

3) Navigate to your mouse.

4) Right click on it and choose “Uninstall”, click OK and reboot the computer.

5) After the computer started, please check if it works. If not, please go to Device Manager and right-click on the mouse and choose “Update the driver software”.

6) Please choose Properties of the mouse and go to the Driver tab, if the “Roll Back Driver” is clickable, please click it to see if it helps.

Additionally, if it is possible, please try another PS/2 mouse to see if it works properly on the Windows Vista computer.

As the issue is related to the hardware, it is also recommended that you contact Logitech for technical support:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/support_downloads/&cl=us,en

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Nicholas Li - MSFT

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 4:01 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Thank you for your post.

Since the mouse worked before updating, a quick solution is to restore the system back to the previous status when the issue didn’t occur with System Restore.

(Note: Performing a system restore may cause the loss of the current system settings; therefore, before doing this, please make sure that the system restore point is not too old and set a restore point for the current status.)

Meanwhile, please try the following suggestion:

Check the device driver

===============

1) Click Start, right click Computer and choose Properties.

2) Click Device Manager.

3) Navigate to your mouse.

4) Right click on it and choose “Uninstall”, click OK and reboot the computer.

5) After the computer started, please check if it works. If not, please go to Device Manager and right-click on the mouse and choose “Update the driver software”.

6) Please choose Properties of the mouse and go to the Driver tab, if the “Roll Back Driver” is clickable, please click it to see if it helps.

Additionally, if it is possible, please try another PS/2 mouse to see if it works properly on the Windows Vista computer.

As the issue is related to the hardware, it is also recommended that you contact Logitech for technical support:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/support_downloads/&cl=us,en

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Nicholas Li - MSFT

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 4:01 AM
  • Oh, sorry, I forgot mention that I tried system restore the day of the problem and it failed to resolve the issue. Now, I only have a restore point for Jan. 22, 2009.

I have tried a few PS2 mice; Logitec and Microsoft. None of them worked or offered drivers. Logitec says to use the native Vista drivers and does not offer drivers for many of their "plain Jane" mice, to include the one I have.

Oh well... since I can't delete or replace the mouse drivers with an administrator account and UAC turned off, I'm just going to wipe and reload.  If it happens again I'll stick with XP until Windows 7, maybe it'll be fixed by then.

Thanks for the help.
    Thursday, January 22, 2009 9:17 PM