How to change where Outlook stores OST file? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.  I have setup an email account in Outlook (2013, Win 10, x64).  Outlook stores the OST file in one directory, but I would like to move it to another directory. How can I do this?

I have done this in the past, but can't seem to find how I did it.

I am not using Microsoft Exchange.

Thanks in advance.

Friday, August 25, 2017 6:12 AM

Answers

• Open the registry editor and create a new expandable string value named "ForcePSTPath" in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook" this will contain the location where you want your IMAP .ost and .pst files to be created by default.

If Outlook is open, restart it.  Newly created data files will default to the location.   You will need to recreate your Outlook profile after this change. 

• Edited by Adrian Takacs Friday, August 25, 2017 8:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by cagross99 Friday, August 25, 2017 8:16 AM
    Friday, August 25, 2017 7:56 AM

All replies

• Dear user,

I would like to suggest some below mentioned steps to change the location of your OST file. See the below mentioned steps;

Technique 1;
    Step 1; Close Outlook
    Step 2; In Control panel, go through Mail and open the profile. 
    Step 3; Double click on the account on the Email tab and deselect use cached mode under the server name. 
    Step 4; Hit the More Settings, Advanced tab, Outlook Data File Settings. 
    Step 5; Disable offline use, then OK. 
    Step 6; Move the ost, go back into Outlook Data File Settings and browse to it. 
    Step 7; Close the dialog and enabled cached mode before exiting the profile.

You can also use registry editor to change to default location of Outlook OST file.

Technique 2;

Step 1: Press Windows & R keys. A Run box will appear on the screen,enter regedit and click OK .
    Step 2: Run the Registry Editor in  your MS Outlook 2013 version. 
    For Outlook 2013 users, the key is:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Outlook
    Step 3: Right-click on the empty area from the right side of the Registry Editor window. Then, select the New and choose the Expandable String Value.
    Step 4: In the Edit String box, assign the name ForceOSTPath to the Value and then, provide the new default location for OST file and then hit OK.
    Step 5: Close the Registry Editor
    Step 6: Restart Microsoft Outlook
    Note; For this, when Exchange account must be active the new .ost file is automatically created in a new default data file location.

Technique 3; You can also use OST to PST Converter to change your file format or default saving location of Outlook  ost data file. As it does not require Exchange environment.

Hope above mentioned techniques might help you !!

• Edited by aliceaggie Friday, August 25, 2017 7:20 AM
    Friday, August 25, 2017 7:15 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.  

I tried to follow your instructions for Technique 1, but am having an issue with Step 4:

>> Step 4; Hit the More Settings, Advanced tab, Outlook Data File Settings. 

When I click the Advanced tab, I do not see "Outlook Data File Settings" (screenshot).  How should I proceed?

I have seen those instructions elsewhere online, and in many cases they are specifically for Exchange users.  I am not using Exchange.

Friday, August 25, 2017 7:21 AM
  • Open the registry editor and create a new expandable string value named "ForcePSTPath" in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook" this will contain the location where you want your IMAP .ost and .pst files to be created by default.

If Outlook is open, restart it.  Newly created data files will default to the location.   You will need to recreate your Outlook profile after this change. 

• Edited by Adrian Takacs Friday, August 25, 2017 8:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by cagross99 Friday, August 25, 2017 8:16 AM
    Friday, August 25, 2017 7:56 AM
  • @Adrian thanks for that.  It worked.  I swear I used a different method just a few months ago, but I can't find those instructions.

Anyway, se can consider this resolved.

Friday, August 25, 2017 8:16 AM
  • @Adrian thanks for that.  It worked.  I swear I used a different method just a few months ago, but I can't find those instructions.

Anyway, se can consider this resolved.

Hey cagross99,

It's nice that the issue is resolved, but there is another very simple way to change or locate an OST file on your local system, refer to https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Change-where-the-Offline-Folder-file-ost-is-saved-6AFE09B0-65CB-4425-BE5A-9C4A4CB28375 where the steps are defined.

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 10:04 AM
  • @Russel, I saw those instructions.  But they seem to be for people using MS Exchange Server, which does not apply to me.  Specifically, step 5 instructs:  Clear the Use Cached Exchange Mode check box.  But there is no 'Cached Exchange Mode' check box for me.
    Tuesday, August 29, 2017 11:31 AM