none
Cannot see Visio Visual Reports in Project RRS feed

• Question

• Good Morning

Running Ms Project Standard 2010 as well as Visio Standard 2010, I am not able to see the Viso visual reports that are Project templates?  Any suggestions?

Thanks

Geoff

Monday, March 19, 2012 5:53 PM

Answers

• To the best of my knowledge, you need Visio Professional for the visual reports in Project 2010.

Julie

Monday, March 19, 2012 6:56 PM
  • See:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/project/archive/2006/05/08/visual-reports.aspx

Particularly this paragraph:

And for a little more background information, Visual Reports works with Excel 2003 or later and Visio Professional 2007

As well as:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectprofessional2010general/thread/16c73411-16b5-4713-9cee-097a51293ee9

It may be possible to work from Visio standard to Project -- but specifically the Visual Reports in Project require the Professional version of Visio.

Julie

Monday, March 19, 2012 9:08 PM

All replies

• To the best of my knowledge, you need Visio Professional for the visual reports in Project 2010.

Julie

Monday, March 19, 2012 6:56 PM
  • Thank Julie, Microsoft on thier comparison site lists that feature in standard.  Any thougfhts from anyone else?

KEY: Included=  New or improved in Visio 2010
    Features
    Visio
    Visio
    Visio
    Autodesk AutoCAD capabilities
    Included Included Included
    Microsoft Office integration through data import/export and embedding Visio diagrams in other documents
    Microsoft Excel integration to create Shape Reports about the properties and data stored in shapes
    Microsoft Outlook integration, including “Import Outlook Data Wizard” to create Visio calendars
    Microsoft Project integration with Visio Gantt charts and timelines
    Microsoft Visual Studio programming support, including Microsoft .NET
    Publishing of diagrams to SharePoint Process Repository
    Database modeling diagrams with reverse engineering of any Open Database Connectivity–compliant data source
    Included Included
    Visual mashups with Visio Services to create dashboards using real-time data and other services in SharePoint Server 2010
    Included Included
    SharePoint Workflow import and export through Microsoft SharePoint Designer 2010
    Included
    <menu class="ms-SrvMenuUI"><ie:menuitem iconsrc="/_layouts/images/HelpIcon.gif" id="MSOMenu_Help" onmenuclick="MSOWebPartPage_SetNewWindowLocation(MenuWebPart.getAttribute('helpLink'), MenuWebPart.getAttribute('helpMode'))" style="display:none;" text="Help" type="option"></ie:menuitem></menu>
    Monday, March 19, 2012 8:34 PM
  • See:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/project/archive/2006/05/08/visual-reports.aspx

Particularly this paragraph:

And for a little more background information, Visual Reports works with Excel 2003 or later and Visio Professional 2007

As well as:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectprofessional2010general/thread/16c73411-16b5-4713-9cee-097a51293ee9

It may be possible to work from Visio standard to Project -- but specifically the Visual Reports in Project require the Professional version of Visio.

Julie

Monday, March 19, 2012 9:08 PM
  • Thanks so much Julie!

Geoff

Monday, March 19, 2012 9:35 PM
  • You're welcome Geoff.  I don't have Visio Standard installed, so I can't really pursue the information from the Visio web site you noted, sorry.
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 2:38 PM
  • Just to confirm what Julie says, I've got Visio standard, and when I try to create a new Visio Visual Reports template in MSP 2010 I get the following message - which is pretty self explanatory:

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 2:43 PM
  • Thanks, Andrew.  Using Visio standard, does there appear to be a tie back to Project?  Geoff noted that the website for Visio talks to Microsoft Project integration.

Julie

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 2:57 PM
  • Yes,

From the menu bar choose New > Project Schedule > Gantt Chart, then a new drop down menu appears called "Gantt Chart".

The Import... option on this menu gives you access to the "Import Project Data Wizard", which allows you to get MS Project data into a Visio style gantt. There's also a corresonding Export... option and wizard.

I guess that's the functionality that the Visio website is talking about.

Thanks,
    Andrew

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 5:28 PM
  • Thank you, Andrew!
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 6:09 PM
  • Geoff and all --

I am at the Project Conference in Phoenix right now, but could not resist adding one additional thought to this thread.  The reason that you must use Visio Professional 2010 is because the Professional version includes the PivotDiagrams feature needed by Microsoft Project 2010 to create the Visual Reports in Visio.  The Standard version of Visio 2010 does not include the PivotDiagrams feature, which means you cannot use that version with Visual Reports.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 5:09 AM
  • Thanks very much for the additional information, Dale.  Enjoy the conference -- wish I could be with you!

Julie

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 11:16 PM
  • Thanks to all, I am so impressed with everyone here, I am new to the world of Project Management and appreciate this new (to me) resource.  I apologize now for my "NEWBIE" questions in the future.  :)

Geoff

• Edited by mobo13 Friday, March 23, 2012 3:39 AM
    Friday, March 23, 2012 3:39 AM
  • Don't apologize for the questions, Geoff.  This is a wonderful resource for everyone -- newbies and "old timers" alike -- we all learn from each other.

Julie

Friday, March 23, 2012 9:58 AM