Add a new domain controller to Exchange 2007 environment. RRS feed

• Question

• I have 2 Windows 2008 domain controllers and one Exchange 2007 Standalone Server running on a Windows 2008 Server. I want to replace one of the two domain controllers with new hardware. It will also run Windows 2008. Can I just add the Active Directory Domain Services Role from the GUI or is there additonal prep work that needs to be done because of Exchange?

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 6:02 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

For Exchange to work fine it requires a GC. So make sure that you are not demoting the only GC in the domain and to be honest you know your network better. Please let us know what exactly fear during the transmission.

Thanks,

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 7:44 PM
  • Both existing Domain Controllers are GC's. I just want to make sure that I can add the Active Directory Domain Services Role to the new server without any impact to the existing 2 DC's and the Exchange server and to find out if I have to run anything on the new DC prior to adding that role.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 7:50 PM
  • no you don't need to. just make sure that your existing AD health is good, go through the logs and exchange logs/event view as and make things are fine.

Where Technology Meets Talent

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 8:48 PM