Computer acting strangely: virus or windows 7 problem? RRS feed

• Question

• My computer is freezing regularly when I'm using Internet Explorer; requiring me to hold the power button down in order to restart (when I do so, the first screen is a scan of my drives and it takes a while before the computer actually boots). In addition to this constant freezing, my built-in Web Cam and Dell Video Chat keep starting up on their own - not just when my computer starts, but sometimes hours after. I find this strange. When my problems began, i tried to run a scan using my virus protection (Sophos), only to find that my computer wouldn't start the program? Since then I have downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials and ran a full scan that apparently found nothing. The first time I noticed this problem, a SPSS file I was working on reverted back mysteriously two weeks - in which case I lost a lot of work. One message that keeps coming up when I restart is something about my networking not being installed and my remote access will not work as a result - if I say "no", the computer freezes, so I have to say "yes" to the install.
    Brandy
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP Saturday, January 7, 2012 6:26 PM Move to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Saturday, January 7, 2012 5:03 PM

Answers

• For information about Security updates, visit the Microsoft Virus Solution and Security Center for resources and tools to keep your PC safe and healthy. If you are having issues with installing the update itself, visit Support for Microsoft Update for resources and tools to keep your PC updated with the latest updates.

Regards,

Miya

Miya Yao

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Miya Yao Monday, January 30, 2012 8:18 AM
    • Edited by Cloud_TS Friday, April 6, 2012 2:52 AM PCSafety Center update
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 2:30 AM

All replies

• One more thing worth mentioning is that my task manager will not come up when I press crtl, alt, delete?

Brandy
    Saturday, January 7, 2012 5:20 PM
  • Please run a full scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and paste here the log, also clean every infection it finds.
    Saturday, January 7, 2012 6:28 PM
  • I tried running a full scan, but my computer froze (it seems to do this a lot when I run scans). I ran a 'quick scan' and it detected 2 threats. Here is the log. I am going to try a 'full scan' now. I deleted these files (after I saved the log). Do you think the threats detected could explain my problems?

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Trial) 1.60.0.1800
    www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2012.01.07.04

Windows Vista Service Pack 2 x64 NTFS
    Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.19170
    Brandy Bang :: BRANDYWINQUIST- [administrator]

Protection: Enabled

07/01/2012 3:48:10 PM
    mbam-log-2012-01-07 (16-08-05).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
    Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
    Scan options disabled: P2P
    Objects scanned: 183489
    Time elapsed: 6 minute(s), 25 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
    (No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 2
    C:\$Recycle.Bin\S-1-5-21-1871672884-3801052246-4101529445-1000\$RDLCE9Y.exe (PUP.CNET.Adware.Bundle) -> No action taken.
    C:\Users\Brandy Bang\AppData\Local\Temp\ICReinstall\cnet_PandoraRecovery2_1_1Setup_exe.exe (PUP.CNET.Adware.Bundle) -> No action taken.

(end)

Brandy
    Saturday, January 7, 2012 10:28 PM
  • ok full scan log.

Scan type: Full scan
    Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
    Scan options disabled: P2P
    Objects scanned: 359682
    Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 19 minute(s), 16 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 0

(end)

Brandy
    Sunday, January 8, 2012 12:10 AM
  • No, those are only low threats. Try to disable all add-ons in Internet Explorer and update the Adobe Flash ActiveX (this may start the webcam without your consent).

MSE is not so good at detecting malware, you should consider the free version of Avast! if your computer is for private use only.

Last, but not least, please perform a clean restart and see if you ran into problems again. To do that, open start Menu, type "msconfig" and press Enter, confirm any UAC notification, click on the Startup Tab, and uncheck all items listed there, then click Apply and Ok, reboot your computer.

If this works, you should enable the startup items one by one to identify the faulty one :D.

Sunday, January 8, 2012 8:36 PM
  • I did as you suggested... with the exception that i went into the 'msconfig' and clicked 5 programs under the startup tab (... the 2 microsoft windows operating system, dell updates, windows defender, and the maleware program.... I worried that if these weren't running I'd have even more problems). My computer is still doing the same, which is freezing every time it "hibernates". I actually see that it is doing this even when no programs are open - after I have left it for a period of time. This is how I ran into my first problem... when it "hibernated" it wouldn't start up again and it then required that I delete my hiberation 'restoration data' file (cannot recall the exact wording) in order to restart my computer. When i agreed to this, it deleted data from my SPSS file that had been saved MANY times over a two week period (although the program had actually never been closed and reopened). Each time my computer freezes, I have to press the power button (the task manager won't run) and it goes through about 5 minutes of syntax (checking my hard drives). I am wondering if it isn't just my whole operating system? should i just reinstall my operating system? I have a back-up drive of all my files.....

Thanks again for your help. Computers drive me crazy when they don't work... :(

Brandy
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 9:14 PM
  • it would be the best option if u go for installing a fresh windows as it will short out all your window OS problems.

remeber to keep all the important files in your other partition

Thursday, January 12, 2012 5:13 AM
  • before you do that go over to bleepingcomputer.com and look around there, they have very good support for taking virus's off. 

Friday, January 13, 2012 3:20 PM
  • For information about Security updates, visit the Microsoft Virus Solution and Security Center for resources and tools to keep your PC safe and healthy. If you are having issues with installing the update itself, visit Support for Microsoft Update for resources and tools to keep your PC updated with the latest updates.

Regards,

Miya

Miya Yao

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Miya Yao Monday, January 30, 2012 8:18 AM
    • Edited by Cloud_TS Friday, April 6, 2012 2:52 AM PCSafety Center update
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 2:30 AM