Windows Server 2019 Won't Install Cumulative Updates RRS feed

• Question

• I have Windows Server 2019.  A 2019-03 Cumulative Update became available.  Windows Server 2019 started to download it, and it got stuck at "Downloading updates 95%".  I rebooted the server, and tried again.  Same thing. Stuck at 95%.  I manually downloaded the update and manually installed it with no problems.

Then the 2019-04 Cumulative Update became available, and it is doing the same thing, "Downloading updates 95%".  From the Control Panel, I ran the Troubleshoot > System and Security > Windows Update.  The response was "Troubleshooting could not identify the problem".  If I expand the details, I get the following:

"Problem with BITS service : The requested service has already been started. More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182. "

I'm not sure what to do with that.

I tried to stop the Windows Update service with the command "net stop wuauserv" so I could delete the Software Distribution files, but I got an error message "The Windows Update service could not be stopped."

Any help would be appreciated.

Saturday, May 4, 2019 1:57 AM

All replies

• Might also try;

• sfc /scannow
    • dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    • repair install by running setup.exe from root of install media
    • clean install it

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Saturday, May 4, 2019 3:35 AM
  • Same issue, going to try this out, thanks!
    Sunday, May 5, 2019 11:02 AM
  • Might also try;

• sfc /scannow
    • dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    • repair install by running setup.exe from root of install media
    • clean install it

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Nope, still having issues here after trying the two firs options. Not sure how I feel to "Reinstall" everything, lol.
    Sunday, May 5, 2019 3:03 PM
  • Repair install or system reset are easier than reinstall, you could have a try.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 6, 2019 8:18 AM
  • Some updates will go in, and others get stuck at 95%.  It appears the Cumulative Updates have this problem.  We are now stuck again at 95%.

By the way, no one in their right mind would run Windows Setup on a production server.

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 3:51 PM
  • I'd agree, time would be better spent standing up a new one, patch fully, then migrate roles or application over to it.

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 3:55 PM
  • Yes, if you have extra hardware laying around, but this is their only server.
    Thursday, June 13, 2019 5:45 PM
  • So I checked the server again today, and the Cumulative update is stuck again for 2019-10.  No Cumulative Updates have gone in since March.

I need some sort of fix for this.  Is there no Windows Update repair tool for Windows Server 2016?

Friday, October 4, 2019 6:32 PM
  • I was able stop the Windows Update services, and clear out the SoftwareDistribution folder except for three log files.  I restarted the server, and it started downloading the Cumulative Update.  Stuck at 95% AGAIN

This is driving me nuts!  Anyone know what is going on here?

Monday, October 7, 2019 5:26 PM