Can I safely copy the SXS folder from the Windows 2012 ISO to "C:\Windows\WinSXS"? RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys,

We want *ALL* the SXS files from the Windows 2012 DVD to be preloaded into our base image. To achieve this we install Windows 2012 on a VM, create a folder named "SXS" folder at the root of C:, copy the contents of "sources\sxs" from the ISO to "C:\SXS" and then capture it as our base image for Server 2012. The issue is we have to browse to that folder when we try to install a role or feature that requires one of those packages because they aren't in WinSXS by default. We are thinking that if we copy the contents of "sources\sxs" from the ISO to "C:\Windows\WinSXS" instead that maybe Roles and Features will stop prompting us to browse for those missing packages.

Will that work or could it cause more harm than good?

Friday, November 1, 2013 3:00 PM

Answers

• I wouldn't do that.

Instead you could just copy the Sources\sxs directory locally elsewhere on the c:\ drive and point to that directory anytime you add new components. I've seen some hydration examples from Microsoft that use this.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

• Proposed as answer by Keith GarnerMVP Friday, November 1, 2013 6:03 PM
    • Marked as answer by ZeusABJ Friday, November 1, 2013 6:12 PM
    Friday, November 1, 2013 6:02 PM

All replies

• I wouldn't do that.

Instead you could just copy the Sources\sxs directory locally elsewhere on the c:\ drive and point to that directory anytime you add new components. I've seen some hydration examples from Microsoft that use this.

• Proposed as answer by Keith GarnerMVP Friday, November 1, 2013 6:03 PM
    • Marked as answer by ZeusABJ Friday, November 1, 2013 6:12 PM
    Friday, November 1, 2013 6:02 PM
  • I wouldn't do that.

Yeah if you read the full body of my initial post you'll see that your suggestion is the method we are currently using. We are just in the middle of upgrading to MDT 2013 so i was just re-reviewing some of our best practices just to see if there was room for improvement. Additional FYI, I actually just tried modifying our SXS copy script to directly target "C:\Windows\WinSXS" in our lab environment and it did not go over well. 

;)

Nothing ventured, nothing gained right?

Friday, November 1, 2013 6:11 PM