Need to use wifi in other place of my house. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I´ll appreciate your help with the following problem. 

I Have 5 notebook, 3 with Windows 7 and 2 with XP Prof, also i have a router D-link DI-514 but some notebook in the second floor doesn´t receive signal, also in the garden either i have no signal.

How can i get a better signal?  Is there any type of device that i can use?

Thanks
    acc

betocolo
    Monday, August 1, 2011 5:55 PM

Answers

• An example of a wireless repeater is TP-Link TL-WA501G these are fairly cheap.

you can use a piece of software called InSSIDer http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/ to view the wireless strengths around your property.

it will also show the different channels of all the wireless networks that are available, tweaking the channel to a less "busy" one will also often help with poor signal.

• Proposed as answer by Bigteddy Saturday, August 13, 2011 6:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by betocolo Monday, August 15, 2011 11:14 PM
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 7:34 AM

All replies

• Yes, you can buy a signal booster.  This device should be placed half-way between the main AP and the furthest wireless client. 

Another more expensive option is to use wireless bridges, if you need another segment on your network connected wirelessly.

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
    Monday, August 1, 2011 6:32 PM
  • An example of a wireless repeater is TP-Link TL-WA501G these are fairly cheap.

you can use a piece of software called InSSIDer http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/ to view the wireless strengths around your property.

it will also show the different channels of all the wireless networks that are available, tweaking the channel to a less "busy" one will also often help with poor signal.

• Marked as answer by betocolo Monday, August 15, 2011 11:14 PM
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 7:34 AM
  • Hi Acc,

I have this problem at my home also.

There are 2 options.

(1) Use a wifi router that can work in repeater mode (e.g. it becomes a client of your existing wifi router and then applies that connection to its own and relays the signal

(2) Place another standard wifi router/access point in your home and connect it to your primary router using a cable (be sure to disable DNS on the second router and ensure it is on the same IP range

I personally use Option 2 and have the second router configured with the same SSID and WEP key which allows for seamless connectivity between both nodes.

Best of luck,

Martin

If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 12:29 AM
  • Hi Martin,

A third, and little used method that I use is WDS wireless bridging.

This requires at least 2 devices connected in a master/slave configuration, and it's great if you're not too concerened about security, because you don't need to encrypt the signal.

Because the devices can only connect to one another (and no other devices) by MAC, and because they don't broadcast a SSID, it is impossible for a normal wireless client to connect to the master, unless it is configured with the master's MAC address and vice versa.

This solution is useful because

1. It is wireless, and can traverse much greater distances than normal AP's

2. It is fast because (if you're not too picky), it doesn't require encryption.

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 7:23 AM