Sophos Antivirus 6.5 RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hallo,

I use Sophos Antivirus 6.5 and the Auto Update Service. How can I use the Auto Update Service in MS SteadyState?

Any idea?

Ralf

Monday, August 6, 2007 11:41 AM

Answers

All replies

•  

Hi Ralf,

Unfortunately, Sophos Antivirus is not officially supported by SteadyState currently. We do not have existing script for this product. As we do not support custom script development in this forum, you will need to write your own custom update script. To write an update script, you can refer to Terence and Jan’s suggestions in the following threads:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1865432&SiteID=69

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1811683&SiteID=69

Best Regards,

Tuesday, August 7, 2007 5:09 AM
  • Hi, I'm new to steadystate however I emailed sophos about this as I am testing it in the coming days, there is no way to force an update however they have given me something to try:

Follow up on this issue.

Due to out Sophos Autoupdate functionality there is not scripted or command line method available to force it to update .

Allthough there is a workaround which can be of use to your scenario .

The service running the Sophos Autoupdate is called Sophos AutoUpdate Service so you can first change the service Startype to manual then create your script to stop and start the service running by using net start/stop "Sophos AuotUpdate Service" .

Once though you have started the service and an update occurs and completes you will not know when it has finished so that you can stop it again .

So the best option wouild be

1. disable automatic updates on the Sophos Client via configuring update policy (under the schedule tab)  if your running Enterprise Console or Open Sophos Antivirus > Configure>Updating >Schedule tab for machinesrunning Sophos AV stanadalone version.

2. have your script first run net stop on the service then net start .

For silent autoupdate you can modify below registry key so that users wont be able to view it :

Go to HKLM\Software\Sophos\Autoupdate\HideTrayIcon and set it to 1

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 5:12 AM
  • Hi Jay,

Thanks for your great sharing! This may provide some hints to the people who need Sophos scripts.

Best Regards,

Friday, November 23, 2007 2:13 AM
  • Here is a nice solution

an antivirus comparison site:

rebrand.ly/top-antivirus

Monday, June 19, 2017 8:41 AM