DPM 2012 error backing up HyperV guests RRS feed

• Question

• We have a client with a DPM 2012 server which has been backing up a HyperV server successfully for a week or two but has suddenly stopped  - giving VSS errors on the host (HyperV Server 2008 R2).

Where should I be asking about this, please?

Thank you,

Monday, August 27, 2012 7:18 PM

Answers

• Thank you. As it happens, I believe that I have fixed this. In case it helps someone else:

Someone had plugged an external USB drive into the server temporarily and it was still installed. The HyperV VSS writer on the host didn't like this and it caused the DPM backups of the guests to fail. Unplugging the drive and restarting the host cured the problem and everything sprang back to life.

Nigel

• Marked as answer by Nigel Ayres Wednesday, August 29, 2012 7:34 AM
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 7:34 AM

All replies

• I's ask on the "Data Protection Manager - Hyper-V and CSV Clusters" forum.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

My Blog: http://unlockpowershell.wordpress.com
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join ("6B61726C6D69747363686B65406D742E6E6574"-split"(?<=\G.{2})",19|%{[char][int]"0x$_"})

Monday, August 27, 2012 7:50 PM
  • Thank you. As it happens, I believe that I have fixed this. In case it helps someone else:

Someone had plugged an external USB drive into the server temporarily and it was still installed. The HyperV VSS writer on the host didn't like this and it caused the DPM backups of the guests to fail. Unplugging the drive and restarting the host cured the problem and everything sprang back to life.

Nigel

• Marked as answer by Nigel Ayres Wednesday, August 29, 2012 7:34 AM
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 7:34 AM