Updates marked as need but not displayed on client RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm using WSUS on Windows Server 2016 Standard, with clients using Windows 10 or Windows Server 2016 Standard too.

Our WSUS is configured to not download any updates, but invite client to use Microsoft Update for their downloads.

So WSUS is just referencing updates who are validated and needed.

Now, some updates are marked as required (like language pack), but clients already have the language pack and WU client didn't list the language pack as required.

So why WSUS is still maintaining this package as required (and some tohers too) ?

If someone could explain it to me, please !

Best regards,

Tuesday, September 4, 2018 10:02 AM

All replies

• Hello, 

Glad to help.

For language packages, the "needed" status means that your client could install them. But note that it is not necessary because it depends on actual needs. Then you should decide whether to install them. If yes, we could install them though "languages" in "control panel"; If not, just decline them.

If there are other updates marked as "needed", but they are not detected by client, could you provide their name and KB number? Have you approved them for install?

Hope my answer could help you and look forward to your feedback.

Best Regards,
    Ray Jia

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 5, 2018 2:01 AM
  • Language Packs (LP) are different than regular Windows Updates. Once approved in WSUS, they only install through manual intervention on the client. If the language pack is NOT approved, you will still be able to add the language pack for writing in the chosen language, but the display will stay to the currently loaded interface pack (English). If you wanted to load the Language Interface Pack (LIP), you have to go to Language Settings > Select the Language > Click on "Download and install language pack". The updates are then installed and when reported back to WSUS, they will be removed them from the 'needed' updates.   This will get it from the WSUS Server and load the language interface pack into Windows.

With language packs and language interface packs, the updates work more along the lines of PRESENTING the user with the updates, rather than forcefully installing them.

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    https://www.ajtek.ca
    Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT

Wednesday, September 5, 2018 12:15 PM
  • Thanks for your explanation.

I will check all other upodates and send the KB to you.

Regards,

Thursday, September 6, 2018 9:56 AM
  • Hi,

After filtering the updates, the KB3061064 (Skype Enterprise Server 2015) is still marked as required (twice).

We also have two drivers update but they are false positive : the servers concerned haven't the specified device. So we will refuse them.

All the others has been removed after launching the cleaning wizard of WSUS.

Thanks

Thursday, September 6, 2018 11:54 AM
  • Hello, 

Thanks for your feedback.

For KB3061064, it seems like a mismatch between WSUS and clients. You could get more information from following post:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/lync/en-US/b7519327-e89a-48e3-8b14-163c47b268db/wsus-reports-kb3061064-for-all-computers?forum=winserverwsus

If your customer doesn't actually need it, just decline it.

Hope my answer could help you.

Best Regards,
    Ray  

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 7, 2018 6:18 AM