Device connect problem at boot up RRS feed

• Question

• For the last couple of months, when I boot up my pc, I get the familiar tone, like a driver is trying to install.  Under Sounds, it’s listed as Device Connect.  Hardware wise, the only change I’ve made, is to go from a PS/2 keyboard to an optical keyboard. The driver installed properly, in fact, I even re-installed it.  The reason for the change is the PS/2 port no longer works, so I switched to an optical keyboard.

My first stop was to check Device Manager. Everything is running correctly there. I checked for updated drivers while I was at it. That didn't help. Same tone at boot up. First, in Configuration Manager, I turned off the PS/2 keyboard, to eliminate that as the culprit.

I then started reviewing the Event Viewer. There were some errors showing up at boot up, so one by one I took care of all those.  I made 4 changes, to clear up errors in the Event Viewer. Each time I made a change, I would reboot, and the tone was still there.

Now I didn’t have any more errors or warning in Event Viewer\Windows Logs\System after boot up, but I still get the same tone.

The only thing that appeared, as a Warning, is under Event Viewer\Windows Logs\Application. It was a SQL Server Express 2005, Event 3 warning.  With the help of the SQL forums, I was able to clear that warning.  Unfortunately, I still have the same tone.

Since then, I’ve tried a few other possibilities. I did a clean boot in Safe Mode (without Networking). There was no tone.   Then I realized, in safe mode there is no sound driver, so I wouldn’t be able to tell if anything happened.  I then went into msconfig. I checked off to hide all Microsoft services, and then disabled all other services, the tone was still there at boot up. From that, I assumed it was in the Microsoft services. I then went to Device Manager. I couldn't disable the sound, because I wouldn't be able to tell if there was still a problem. The Video Card was fine. I then went to the Network Adapters. I have a USB 802.11 b/g Adapter. Disabled it - no change. I also have an Intel 82566DC-2 Gigabit Network Adapter. I disabled it, no tone. I then Enabled it, through Device Manager, and the tone went off. I was actually able to set off the tone by disabling, then enabling the adapter. From that, I concluded, the NIC was no good. I purchased a new PCI Network Adapter. I installed it, along with the drivers, and disabled the old network adapter. The Intel adapter is a motherboard mounted adapter. Rebooted, expecting all my troubles to be over. I still have the tone at boot up.

I then tried the System file checker. It showed no problems on my system. I still get the same tone.

Next I went back to Device Manager, and clicked to show all hidden items.  Still couldn’t find anything wrong in the list, yet I still get the same tone at start up.  When I purchased my pc, it came, preinstalled, with PC-Doctor for Windows, so I ran a complete scan.  No problems anywhere, but same tone.  I run Vista 32 bit on a dual boot.  C:\ runs Vista HP, and my 2<sup>nd</sup> drive is Vista Ultimate.  It has to be a hardware issue, because the same tone occurs, regardless of which drive I boot into. 

It has been suggested I Disable each of the drivers.  Other than in safe mode, is there another way I can do that, and be able to keep the sound driver enabled, so I’ll know if the problem still exists?  It’s the only way to know if the issue still occurs.  Do I need to Disable or Uninstall each driver individually, until I find it?

I am running out of options.  I could really use some help!

Thanks

Dave

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 1:34 PM

Answers

• After checking with the HP tech support website, I found intructions, on how to disconnect all added hardware, to test for the error.  It simply entailed shutting down, disconnecting all unnecerssary peripherals, unplug the pc and push the start button for 5 seconds.  Then plug the pc back in, and one by one, followed by a restart, plug in each device.  I got as far as the network.  The error showed back up.  I tried it in both the motherboard, and a new PCI mounted NIC card I just purchased.  Same results.  That meant it was in the modem.  I contacted the ISP, and based on the steps I already took, they agreed, so they are sending me a new modem, ethernet cable, and power supply.  Hopefully, that will solve the issue.

I find it interesting, there is no hardare indicator, such as is found in Device Manager, showing the condition of the modem.

Thanks for the help.  I'll write back if this doesn't solve the problem.

Dave

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Wednesday, November 23, 2011 2:37 AM
    Monday, November 21, 2011 6:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According your description, as this issue should be caused by the hardware, it is recommended to contact the manufacturer to see if there are any problems.

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, November 18, 2011 6:26 AM
  • After checking with the HP tech support website, I found intructions, on how to disconnect all added hardware, to test for the error.  It simply entailed shutting down, disconnecting all unnecerssary peripherals, unplug the pc and push the start button for 5 seconds.  Then plug the pc back in, and one by one, followed by a restart, plug in each device.  I got as far as the network.  The error showed back up.  I tried it in both the motherboard, and a new PCI mounted NIC card I just purchased.  Same results.  That meant it was in the modem.  I contacted the ISP, and based on the steps I already took, they agreed, so they are sending me a new modem, ethernet cable, and power supply.  Hopefully, that will solve the issue.

I find it interesting, there is no hardare indicator, such as is found in Device Manager, showing the condition of the modem.

Thanks for the help.  I'll write back if this doesn't solve the problem.

Dave

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Wednesday, November 23, 2011 2:37 AM
    Monday, November 21, 2011 6:28 PM