none
caching pin code for smartcard

Question

• I am having to enter my pin literally upwards of a hundred times per day.  I have counted, one website caused me to enter PIN 11 times to open the first page, click a link, do it all again.  Is there a PIN caching option that can be turned on?
    Monday, April 30, 2018 2:01 PM

All replies

• Hi Nonya,

Normally, a PIN should be prompted only for the first time unless:

Smart card is removed and re-inserted, 

The application is closed and re-opened.

PIN caching is disabled.

For enable PIN cache, we could refer to the marked answer in link: Clear Smart Card / PIN Cache on Smart Card Removal

Bests,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 1, 2018 8:59 AM
  • I don't suppose there has been any update on this?  I work for the Department of Defense, and we all use CACs (smart cards) for authentication to many things, and literally everyone I know has this exact complaint.  Windows 10 does not cache smart card PINs.

I know it should, I know in some of the many places this question has been posted people have re-iterated that it should, but it does not.  Is there any way to get this question elevated to someone who can actually address the issue?  It is an enormous annoyance for everyone who regularly uses smart cards, and many people at our work are switching to using Linux for exactly this reason.

Friday, January 18, 2019 2:11 PM
  • We had the issue too (DoD-Navy), and found that Active Card 6.x (64-bit) would "break" Win 10, so using it to "make certs available to widows" seemed to be a no-go.  BUT .. found that as a workaround is to Download the ActiveCard 6.x from My Military CAC (free)  .. install it ...use it to "make certs available to widows" then uninstall ActiveCard 6.x.  This somehow "enables" PIN caching and only have to enter PIN once.  Its not pretty, but it works ...  I'm trying to get my hands on a copy of ActiveCard 7.1 from the Army site to test on Win10.  
    Friday, February 8, 2019 1:36 AM