none
Drivers for MS Office Keyboard for Windows7 64-bit RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Microsoft,

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE release drivers for the MS Office Keyboard for Windows7 64-bit!

Lots of people still use and love this keyboard.  This is the best keyboard you have ever made, especially due to the big and enjoyable scroll wheel.  Some people have arthritis and NEED to use this keyboard.

I have tried the various "workarounds" out there (like autohotkey etc.) and none work well, especially since I have to connect my keyboard via a USB port.

Please, I don't want a workaround.  Could you please simply create an appropriate driver?  It would be so easy!

Thanks you!

Thursday, July 15, 2010 8:16 AM

Answers

All replies

• Salam Omer,

You can install windows XP's driver for MS Office Keyboard if u have windows XP driver, and it will work 100% fine.

Here is the procedure to install windows XP drivers in windows 7:

And if u don't have MS OFFICE keyboard driver than u can download it form this link

1. Download Intellitype Pro 5 from the link given.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=3d0ba152-5d92-4772-a2fd-5ab35c750685&DisplayLang=en

2. Right-click on the downloaded ITP5_0Eng.exe file and select Properties.

3. Select the Compatibility tab. On that tab, in the 'Compatibility mode' box, place a check mark in the 'Run this program in compatibility mode for' box, and select Windows XP (Service Pack 2)

4. Click on OK to close the Properties screen, then double-click on the ITP5_0Eng.exe file to start the installation.

5. In the first screen to appear, DO NOT attempt to change the default location shown (C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro) - if you try, the installation program crashes (or at least, it does for me). Just click on Next.

6. From here, what happens on your system may differ, but this is what happens on mine. The installation program starts and shows files being extracted. it then shows an error message - "Setup cannot continue because this software version is not supported...". Don't panic! Just click on the OK button to close that dialog box.

7. The *real* setup files will now have been installed in C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro\. Browse to that directory, then go to the \IType sub directory. In that sub-directory you will find a file called setup.exe. Change the compatibility mode for this file to Windows XP as well, as we did in step 3 above.

8. Run that setup.exe program. When it completes, you may see yet another dire warning that the program is not compatible. Ignore it, just close the dialog box.

9. That should be it, job done! Try your extra keys and the scroll bar now, see if they work.

Hope it will works for u.

Thanx

Regards

Syed Asad Bukhari

• Proposed as answer by Syed Asad Bukhari Thursday, July 15, 2010 9:19 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Omer Grigg Thursday, July 15, 2010 12:02 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Syed Asad Bukhari Monday, July 19, 2010 10:44 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Omer Grigg Monday, July 19, 2010 11:04 AM
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 9:17 AM
  • Salam Omer,

You can install windows XP's driver for MS Office Keyboard if u have windows XP driver, and it will work 100% fine.

Here is the procedure to install windows XP drivers in windows 7:

And if u don't have MS OFFICE keyboard driver than u can download it form this link

1. Download Intellitype Pro 5 from the link given.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=3d0ba152-5d92-4772-a2fd-5ab35c750685&DisplayLang=en

2. Right-click on the downloaded ITP5_0Eng.exe file and select Properties.

3. Select the Compatibility tab. On that tab, in the 'Compatibility mode' box, place a check mark in the 'Run this program in compatibility mode for' box, and select Windows XP (Service Pack 2)

4. Click on OK to close the Properties screen, then double-click on the ITP5_0Eng.exe file to start the installation.

5. In the first screen to appear, DO NOT attempt to change the default location shown (C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro) - if you try, the installation program crashes (or at least, it does for me). Just click on Next.

6. From here, what happens on your system may differ, but this is what happens on mine. The installation program starts and shows files being extracted. it then shows an error message - "Setup cannot continue because this software version is not supported...". Don't panic! Just click on the OK button to close that dialog box.

7. The *real* setup files will now have been installed in C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliType Pro\. Browse to that directory, then go to the \IType sub directory. In that sub-directory you will find a file called setup.exe. Change the compatibility mode for this file to Windows XP as well, as we did in step 3 above.

8. Run that setup.exe program. When it completes, you may see yet another dire warning that the program is not compatible. Ignore it, just close the dialog box.

9. That should be it, job done! Try your extra keys and the scroll bar now, see if they work.

Hope it will works for u.

Thanx

Regards

Syed Asad Bukhari

The OP states he is looking for drivers for Windows 7 64-bit.  You cannot install 32-bit drivers on the 64-bit system!

For 64-bit download go to either https://www.microsoft.com/hardware/download/download.aspx?category=mk or https://www.microsoft.com/hardware/download/DownloadResult.aspx?category=MK&type=Keyboard&name=JUB-00001&os=Win7_64&lang=en

Thursday, July 15, 2010 11:30 AM
  • Syed and Rick,

Thanks for your suggestions.  I tried them but they didn't work

Version 5:

I repeated your instructions and the setup.exe does not install - windows tells me it's 32 bit

Version 6+7:

I tried the 64 bit versions of intellitype 7 as well as 6 - they start installing, but then the "MS office keyboard" isn't available.

Is there a 64-bit version of intellitype 5?  Better yet, can't someone in Microsoft do us all a favor and create the drivers??  One kind soul... please... :(

Thursday, July 15, 2010 12:00 PM
  • I've had no luck with this either.  I tried all of the various Keyboards in the latest versions of Intellitype Pro, but the fantastic Office Keyboard hasn't been supported since v5.0.

Does anyone know of a work-around for the scroll roller and the = and () keys on the top of the numeric keypad, and the undo and redo keys?  Perhaps third party software?

Truly, these keyboards make Excel and Word much, much faster and easier to use, so I'm praying for a solution!

Friday, July 16, 2010 6:26 AM
  • Please visit the following site for solutions:

How to troubleshoot keyboard issues that you may experience when you use a Microsoft keyboard

As it is due to the driver issue, you’d better give your feedback via Microsoft Hardware Customer Feedback. BTW, I would like to forward your request to Microsoft Hardware Support team as well.

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Monday, July 19, 2010 3:22 AM
  • Dear Dale,

1.  Regarding the link - it is an irrelevant one (no Win7 help)

2.  I have posted this issue on the hardware feedback page, thanks for that

3.  Yes ,feel free to forward this to the support team, thanks for the offer.  I really appreciate this!

If you do a bit of online searching, you'll find that the "Office Keyboard" is still a very popular keyboard, despite being out-of-production for quite a few years.  No other keyboard out there, made by MS or Logitech or any other manufacturer, has a convenient and big scroll wheel on the left side!  People with arthritis or other conditions find this feature super useful.  I even found this keyboard on EBay for more than $100!

It's a mystery, really, why MS stopped making it and stopped supporting it.  If you know the right people to forward this plea to, I know many people would appreciate it greatly.

Thanks!

Omer

Monday, July 19, 2010 6:58 AM
  • Hi All,

Interesting problem, seems many really like this keyboard. It first became incompatible with Vista. Some web searching returned this method to get it working.

Install Intellitype 7.1 for Windows 7 in your version (32 or 64-bit) and select Digital Media Pro Keyboard as the device. Everything but the scroll wheel should work. Then you need a third party application called autohotkey to get the scroll wheel to work with some scripting.

Here are the references for you to review and work out the solution.

Check the 29-11-2009 post from BarCode: http://forums.techarena.in/vista-hardware-devices/529355.htm

The autohotkey: http://www.autohotkey.com/

I would also recommend that you consider using current hardware and adapt to Keyboard Shortcuts and a mouse with a scroll wheel. Two keys to execute office or almost any command. I have used keyboard shortcuts for some time.

http://www.microsoft.com/enable/products/keyboard.aspx

Good Luck!

Monday, July 19, 2010 1:48 PM
  • Hi Nano,

This solution has been proposed in other places, but has not worked for some, including myself.

The scroll wheel in the Office Keyboard is particularly important for many people, especially people with carpal tunnel, arthritis, etc., who find its location (L side of keyboard) and large size very very helpful as an alternative to mouse scrolling.  The shortcuts are much less important.

You recommend using current hardware.  Trust me - shelling out a few bucks for a new keyboard is not the issue.  There is simply no other keyboard out there that comes close to the trusty ole' "MS Office Keyboard".  Have you seen what's out there??  There's the awful Logitech one with a tiny scroll pad AT THE TOP of the keyboard!!  Sheesh...

I would recommend, on the other hand, that MS resume production of the "Office" and see some nice sales...  If they make an "Office 2.0 Keyboard", I'd buy it tomorrow!

Also, software support for old hardware is something that customers value, dear MS readers!

Monday, July 19, 2010 1:59 PM
  • Hi Omer,

Kind of thought that would be the answer. But,BarCode did get the scroll wheel working in Win 7, so I thought I'd offer the information. Sorry you didn't have any success. I liked the TrackBall mice, which were passed over also.

I guess MS idea of accessibility options is missing some needs.

However, again, in this thread, the users were able to get it working. With a little more detail on the Autohotkey scripting.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistahardware/thread/c5b61a48-79a5-402a-9286-de9e97387e0b

Monday, July 19, 2010 4:19 PM
  • Hi Dale,

As I've mentioned, the real solution for the problem is for MS to create new drivers for this keyboard, since the workarounds do not help all the people.  That would be a real and optimal solution, not to mention a breeze for MS to do and make lots of people happy.

FYI - The page you referred me to isn't relevant to Windows 7.  Not that it would help, since the drivers do not exist...

Regarding your offer to forward my request to the support team - Yes please do!  Feel free to forward this to any team or person you wish!  Forward it to Steve Balmer!  Anyone who might be able to help or get someone who can help to help...

Please keep me posted.

THANK YOU!

Omer

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 7:42 AM
  • I also have the problem of making my scroll wheel work on my Office keyboard after upgrading to Windows 7 64bit.  I was very pleased to see your advice which I followed, but it did not work for me as Windows still came up with not compatible, so I can use the keyboard but with no scroll wheel. cheers
    Sunday, October 3, 2010 11:27 PM
  • I agree, I am also having the same problems.  Cheers
    Sunday, October 3, 2010 11:28 PM
  • I whole heartedly agree with you I love my keyboard and have now found with upgrading to Windows 7 64bit that I can not get my scroll wheel to work and am very unhappy.
    • Proposed as answer by KarlAnka Thursday, February 24, 2011 7:51 AM
    Sunday, October 3, 2010 11:45 PM
  • This is an old thread, but I think most people fail with the above mentioned solution for the reason that one important piece of information is missing: you have to plug you keyboard into the PS/2 port (using an adapter). Then the scroll wheel will work using the above mentioned autohotkey script. If you plug your keyboard into the USB port, the above suggested solution wont work. Took me some time to find out, so I thought I should share this important piece of information.

You can put a shortcut to autohotkey program  in the startup folder, but what I found was in a way easier was to convert to above mentioned script to an .exe file (using autohotkey for the conversion). Then I put a shortcut to the .exe file in the startup folder and everything worked fine.

Thursday, February 24, 2011 7:55 AM
  • Has everyone given up on this? Can't get a PC with a PS2 keyboard port anymore so everything except the scroll wheel works. It is a shame.
    Tuesday, February 11, 2014 10:59 PM
  • I have the same problem, but luckily my pc still has an old ps2 connector. The proposed workaround is working for most parts, however very delicate (it is very easy to mess up the workaround, which I have done some time ago; it took quite some effort to make it working again). I fear the moment that I have to buy a new computer, probably not having the ps2 port any more, or otherwise reluctant to support the workaround.

I feel very frustrated that a trusted company leaves their customers in the cold. It has been an expensive keyboard, extremely useful and durable, and for Microsoft it will be a piece of cake to rewrite the driver. It is not even from another company; otherwise we would put our complaints there. I have recommended it to my friends and family, now they are looking at me...

Please, Microsoft, make us happy, like we did you at the time we bought this hard- and software. It will also be a landmark of sustainability, and it will show that you are willing to take your customers seriously.

Thursday, December 25, 2014 12:59 PM
  • It is now June 2015, I have just upgraded to Win & and am stuck in this predicament. this is the best Keyboard I have ever owned and It is a shame that MS could not be bothered to write a driver for such a well loved and sought after piece of kit.
    Friday, June 26, 2015 11:48 PM
  • If you follow this post you can get it to work with windows 7, 8, 10.

http://www.windows10forums.com/threads/microsoft-office-keyboard-rt9450-with-scroll-wheel-works-with-autohotkey.6592/

I will repost that post here in cast it goes away.  You can add the .aht to your startup or right click and compile it and put the exe in your startup.  This works for me only using USB connection.  Gives this old keyboard new life.  It likely will not work with the usb to ps2 adapter since its using UDB HID.

---------------

This excellent and much-loved keyboard with a scroll wheel that can be used by the left hand and copy cut and paste keys has not been usable since Windows 8 was pressed on us.

There is no updated Windows 10 driver for this device but the existing drivers work as expected, except for the invaluable Scroll wheel.

But a recent post by pondermatic 

https://gist.github.com/pondermatic/224790183061d1aeaff7

requring a library file

; requires AHKHID library from https://github.com/jleb/AHKHID

now makes it possible to use this device as originally intended.

See reports at https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8005&p=65115#p65115

I placed the files

ahkhid.* files in C:\Program Files\AutoHotkey\lib
    and keywheel.ahk in C:\Program Files\AutoHotkey
    and created a link to keywheel.ahk that is on my desktop.

A double click on the desktop icon starts the keyboard scroll wheel working as it used to.

• Edited by Tracy Rogers Wednesday, January 13, 2016 12:24 AM
    Wednesday, January 13, 2016 12:23 AM
  • I can confirm what Tracy Rogers wrote: microsoft Office Keyboard RT9450 works completely with AHKHID

Few remarks:

- the lib folder has to be created yourself (for 64bit C:\Program Files (x86)\AutoHotkey\lib)

- the keyboard must be connected by USB for AHKHID to work (for the old workaround PS2 was needed)

- intellitype is still needed for the F1-F12 shortcuts (which I don't use frequently)

Still it is a shame for microsoft that they do not support a very fine and quite expensive keyboard, which after more than 10 years is still functioning as new

• Edited by mrtbart Saturday, October 29, 2016 1:00 AM
    Saturday, October 29, 2016 12:59 AM
  • The only thing i found working is for scroll wheel/word/excel buttons to work with 3 tiny programs made with AutoHotKey software. You can place them in start menu and have 3 buttons working.. Nothing for cut/copy/paste/application buttons... You can download these 3 programs from here https://app.box.com/s/7zqwogox6wj12vwt40yp3ko3d5485agp ....

Saturday, March 24, 2018 6:27 AM
  • The only thing i found working is for scroll wheel/word/excel buttons to work with 3 tiny programs made with AutoHotKey software. You can place them in start menu and have 3 buttons working.. Nothing for cut/copy/paste/application buttons... You can download these 3 programs from here https://app.box.com/s/7zqwogox6wj12vwt40yp3ko3d5485agp ....
    Saturday, March 24, 2018 6:28 AM
    Saturday, March 24, 2018 6:28 AM
  • Pourquoi ce n'est pas encore fait ??????????
    Wednesday, January 16, 2019 2:57 AM
  • Pourquoi ce n'est pas encore fait ?????????????????
    Wednesday, January 16, 2019 3:07 AM
  • Is there a 64-bit version of intellitype 5?  Better yet, can't someone in Microsoft do us all a favor and create the drivers??  One kind soul... please... :(

Pourquoi ce n'est pas encore fait ?????????????????

Wednesday, January 16, 2019 3:08 AM
  • Pourquoi ce n'est pas encore fait ?????????????????
    Wednesday, January 16, 2019 3:09 AM
  • It's a mystery, really, why MS stopped making it and stopped supporting it.  If you know the right people to forward this plea to, I know many people would appreciate it greatly.

Wednesday, January 16, 2019 3:11 AM
  • I would recommend, on the other hand, that MS resume production of the "Office" and see some nice sales...  If they make an "Office 2.0 Keyboard", I'd buy it tomorrow!

Also, software support for old hardware is something that customers value, dear MS readers!

Wednesday, January 16, 2019 3:15 AM
  • MS, Pourquoi n'avez-vous rien fait encore ??????????????
    Wednesday, January 16, 2019 3:45 AM