none
BitLocker Recovery Key won't accept letters RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Dell Latitude E5510 running Windows 10 pro.  My BitLocker password stopped working and I'm locked out.  I found the ButLocker Recovery key - but I can't type ANY letters into the field.  My Recovery Key ID is:   C3162856-760D-4ESE-AE11-8D0798DE3BEO
    Thursday, February 23, 2017 10:34 PM

All replies

• the actual key itself will only have numbers in it. You need to enter the key itself, not the key ID.

MJ

MJ

• Proposed as answer by Mike Jenne Thursday, February 23, 2017 10:55 PM
    Thursday, February 23, 2017 10:55 PM
  • Well to me you are entering the Identifier not the Recover Key, from this post Windows 10 BitLocker Key won't accept letters

Thursday, February 23, 2017 10:55 PM
  • Again, my Recovery Key ID is:   C3162856-760D-4ESE-AE11-8D0798DE3BEO

What should I enter instead?

Friday, February 24, 2017 12:16 AM
  • Again, my Recovery Key ID is:   C3162856-760D-4ESE-AE11-8D0798DE3BEO

What should I enter instead?

Again,  "C3162856-760D-4ESE-AE11-8D0798DE3BEO" is not the recovery key. Since recovery key is a string of 48 digits number that is not include any letter.

Here is a guide how to get BitLocker recovery key for you:

BitLocker recovery keys: Frequently asked questions

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17133/windows-8-bitlocker-recovery-keys-frequently-asked-questions

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 24, 2017 7:32 AM
  • That's the problem, I don't have an all numeral key and nothing is stored on my microsoft account?  I can't restore setttings - because that drive is locked.  If a cross reference to the key I have to an all numeral one is available - need to find it?
    Friday, February 24, 2017 12:11 PM
  • That's the problem, I don't have an all numeral key and nothing is stored on my microsoft account?  I can't restore setttings - because that drive is locked.  If a cross reference to the key I have to an all numeral one is available - need to find it?

Yes, you have to find the recovery key.If you can’t find your key, and no other administrator on the PC can find a backup copy either, you’ll need to restore the PC to factory default settings. Only choose this option as a last resort because it will delete your personal data from the PC. While it helps protect your data against unauthorized access, it also prevents you from ever accessing your data again.

For more steps, follow the last topic in this article:

BitLocker recovery keys: Frequently asked questions

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17133/windows-8-bitlocker-recovery-keys-frequently-asked-questions

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 27, 2017 9:35 AM
  • You answers are shameful. He obviously has entered a password, that why he knows it doesn't enter Alpha characters.  Where do you technical people come from, the need to fire your boss for hiring you and fire his boss for hiring him. He and I want to know how to enable the Alpha key function for the Bitlocker login screen. Customer Service 101........LISTEN. He's not asking what Bitlocker does.
    Thursday, June 13, 2019 7:16 PM