Internet Speed test faster on Ubuntu than Windows 7...why? RRS feed

• General discussion

• So I recently gave Ubuntu 12.04 a whirl just to try it out for surfing the web and basic stuff. I am dual booting Windows 7 64-Bit and Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. My internet service is 100 Mbps down and 35 Mbps up. On Ubuntu I ran speedtest.net for a server near me and I got 102 Mbps down, 34 Mbps up. Then I ran it on Windows 7 and got 60 Mbps down and 29 Mbps up. Pings were the same and I ran the test multiples times on each OS restarting the laptop each time. I turned off power management for the NIC in windows but no dice. I havent really ever seen my connection reach above 70 Mbps on this laptop except when running Ubuntu. Using wireless internet btw.

Are there some limiting settings I missed in Windows that would cause a throttle? I made sure there were no downloads or updates running and programs running were minimal.

The wireless card is an Intel Centrino- N 1030.

Friday, July 26, 2013 9:36 PM

All replies

• Interesting question and results.....what website did you use? Which browser on Windows? I am not aware of any limitations settings placed in windows. Oh and you are testing with wireless the speeds can change based on distance from the AP etc. I don't think there is a difference between Ubuntu or Windows....with that being said some browsers operate faster than others...hope this helps.

<h

Mark D. Albin, M.S. IT Master Services www.itmasterservice.com  Office: (775) 229-4254

</h

• Edited by Mark D Albin Saturday, July 27, 2013 1:41 AM edit
    Saturday, July 27, 2013 1:39 AM
  • Odoro87

There is no inherent "throttling" in win 8, or win 8.  It is something local and might be as simple as setting the MTU incorrectly.

Have you tried re-installing the networking drivers?  Does it do the same on Ethernet & WiFi?

Have you tried running the test in safe mode with networking (to eliminate a driver conflict)?

Wanikiya & Dyami--Team Zigzag

Saturday, July 27, 2013 1:53 AM
  • Hey guys thanks for the replies, I have MTU's set to automatic or 1500. I've tried safe mode and results were the same. Wired ethernet shows full speeds on both operating systems, so I'm at a loss on what to configure on the Windows side of the wireless NIC. Obviously getting 60-70 Mbps on the Windows side is more than enough for most everything I do, but its very curious. 

Oh to answer some of the questions, I used the same range for each test, about 10 feet away in the same room as the router (Netgear R6300) with direct line of sight. Laptop is plugged in, running on AC power. Also I used Firefox for both OS tests, and Chrome / Chromium. 

I'll keep trying some things and let you guys know what I come up with!

Sunday, July 28, 2013 6:33 AM